Jacksons... as of big as a pain as they say? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2004, 10:23 PM   #11
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by romad119
I curently have some veileds (1 male, 3 babies) so I have some experience. I was just curious of the about the jacksons as a next possible expansion. Are male and female cohabitable or only during breeding like most?
I haev a single male Jax in a 260 and all of my veileds are in seperate cages 175 gallon, I would not put them together except as newborns a few in a cage or at breeding time for adults.

Now, I have had more than 1 in a 260 at a time but not for any length of time, only long enough to get the imports in, unboxed, and get them well hydrated for a few hours while seperating them to seperate cages.

Community housing is not advised for any chameleon I know of, maybe the pygmys and Im not even sure if they would be but I know some people put a few pygmys in a cage together.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
Bringerofdoom
wendy, i hate to go off topic, but you seem to barely know how to keep any herps do you??

you stated you gave beardies a 130 degree basking spot
now chams with 100 degree spot.

Yet your trying to hatch cham eggs too...........

Old 11-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #13
meleon
I think 100' is to high

but ehh whatever works for you

Old 11-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #14
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by Bringerofdoom
wendy, i hate to go off topic, but you seem to barely know how to keep any herps do you??

you stated you gave beardies a 130 degree basking spot
now chams with 100 degree spot.

Yet your trying to hatch cham eggs too...........
Doom,

For my Jackson Cham
It is 100 and the VERY Left BACK TIP TOP CORNER of a 30X30X72 Cage, not the entire top just the back left where the mercury vapor is, the Right Front reaches about 80 at the Very right Front TIP TOP CORNER

Again this temps are taken at the top of the cage, not the ambient temp inside the cage but at the TIP TOP in top corners.

I am not breeding Jax nor do they lay eggs

I am breeding veileds who have a different set up, different size cages etc.

The Dragon was in a 110 Gallon and the 110-130 was the very left side against the wall of the cage, the right side was about 80 or so, you only asked for basking temp whis the the temp directly under the bulb itself.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #15
dwedeking
Alan,

The differences between keeping veileds and jacksons are that jacksons require a higher humidity and lower temps. Mid to high eighties seem to work perfect for jacksons. On my jackson breeder cages I cram the cage full with live vegetation. This helps keep the humidity up and also provides the more shy jacksons a sense of security.

The biggest problem with jacksons is that the babies are very fragile. Since fewer CB offspring are introduced many of the jacksons on the market are wild caughts. My experience with wild caught chameleons is that it greatly depends upon who you get them from as to the quality. So a store or reseller that has poor wholesale connections would consider them hard to keep as they have a rough time with the poor stock they receive.

Wendy. 100 degrees is too hot. The fact that your cage is large enough that the chameleon can stay in a cooler part of the cage does not change the fact that 100 is too hot. Your essentially removing that 25% of the cage from being used by the chameleon (and running up your electric bill for no reason).

Old 11-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #16
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by dwedeking

Wendy. 100 degrees is too hot. The fact that your cage is large enough that the chameleon can stay in a cooler part of the cage does not change the fact that 100 is too hot. Your essentially removing that 25% of the cage from being used by the chameleon (and running up your electric bill for no reason).
OK, I raised the bulb up 8", now the tip top left back corner is at 85 and the tip top right front is still at 80 since the room temp is 80.

He is now up in the top left corner so high he can't climb any higher, is it just because he was used to higher temps?

Old 11-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #17
Chris@TSE

Mr. Beardie Says: Look what you did to me Wendy! How could you?! I can't be..l....ackk....ACKKKKK..... -silence-

You are the LAST person to give anyone any instruction Wendy. When are you going to take a hint?

Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #18
serrasalmus
I'm unsure which I'm getting more tired of seeing......... The photograph of the poor abused beardie, or the person who put that beardie in that condition giving horrid advise to other keepers.

Both of them are equally as disgusting/disturbing.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 AM   #19
riverjop
Wendy! The sad thing is that people out there who are reading "these" posts are not thinking of "YOUR" 6' cage, but they are reading that jackson's (a mountain species) should have a temp of 100 degrees!, and thats just not right!

And for god sake please don't Hi-jack this thread and make it into another Wendy bashing.

I think most of know her 'abnormal" husbandry skills!

Plus wading thru another possible 50 pages, it giving me a headache just thinking about it!

Old 11-15-2004, 04:08 AM   #20
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally posted by codyremmyloo
The left back corner hits 100 at the tip top while the upper right hits about 80 at the tip top, they have a wide range of temps to chose from! If they want an 80 max, they haev it and if they want to get warmer or cooler they can!
In your first post, you stated that you have a basking temperature of 100. When one is refering to a basking temperature, they should be refering to the actual temperature at which the animal should bask in. The size of the cage would be irrelevant. Example, if "certain reptile" requires a basking temp of 90, then it should be set-up so the actual basking temp is 90, whether it is on a sandy spot of a 5g cage 8" from the heat source, or in the top branch of a 300g Tall cage for an arboreal species.
When several people note that is to high for a Jackson's, you reply...but I only had that in the very, very upper tiny corner (paraphrazing).

This is the same pattern of backpeddling that you did in the Bearded thread. It seems that in addition to Beardeds, you don't quite know how to properly keep/care for Jackson's. I think you would do your animals and your reputation some good to quit posting husbandry advise, at least for a while. Instead read some books, do some research, learn how to PROPERLY care for those 1000's of animals you sell. Learn the proper temps of a mountain Species, learn that a 9 (?) month old Bearded Dragon shouldn't look like a wild small Blue-belly Lizard- Sceloporus sp. and that if it is drinking massive amounts of water it might be a sign of parasites or other health problems. That way everytime you are involved in a thread it won't turn into 50 pages of you trying to explain what you really meant when you said something wrong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!