My Veileds setup - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
jim9298
My Veileds setup

1st post here, some of you probably already seen these on the other sites.
Just got into this cham thing in March. I built these myself.

Japanese Maple and Congo Vine. Still got more plants/vines coming.

Here's what I did to get Bamboo mounted in a screen cage, get some sheet metal screw, cut the bamboo to length and screw it into the hollow center, works great for perches for Cham's etc.
Fine screen

1/4 Hardware Cloth

My feeder container for Cham's, Crix's normally jump after hitting wall straight into the lip. Not much diff from the milk jug design you can opaque the sides.Can also try the deep dish.

Works great. Poked a lot hole so all the crap falls out. Crix's stay in without removing legs.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
niels
even though i never use cages with mesh, then it looks great, and nice photos!
the cage looks really big and looks like you have done a great job.

good luck with your cham

regards Niels

Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
jim9298
Thanks, I'm trying my best.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Awesome job there, you put a lot of time and thought into those cages and it really shows!

Old 05-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Lucille
Those are just gorgeous, what lucky chams you have!!!!
Are you a builder by trade? (If not, you are naturally gifted!)

I saw what looks like a dieffenbachia in the right hand cage, are those OK to have with chams?

Old 05-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
jim9298
No I'm no builder, just a novice trying to read and learn as much as possible.
Thanks for the kind words.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
FreakOfNature66
Wow those are some awesome cages. I think you did such gorgeous work. I give you props for what you have done. -green with envy-

Old 05-28-2005, 10:23 PM   #8
Chameleon Company
Jim,
Wow, you certainly have a heart for what you do! The set-ups look great in all aspects ..... size, available cover, etc. My only recommendation, should you pursue more cages and/or animals, is to go with plastic covered 1/4" mesh, as you appear to have bare glavanized mesh there. You will likely be OK with what you have, as there are so many other climbing options. But for all the work you are putting into it??? There are on-line suppliers, and it may be available locally to you. As for plants, as Lucille raised, I know of no published species or list of commonly available plants that are dangerous with your chameleon. Every list that I have ever seen was mammalian based, and of no use, as I have seen chameleons eat plants that mammals avoid. It doesn't mean that there aren't plants lurking out there in a WalMart garden shop etc, that must be avoided. It just means that we don't have the anecdotal information yet, and the list of positive interactions between chamemeons and non-native foliage is growing. Again, congrats on your set ups, and thanks for sharing them in detail. The shallow, broader cup-feeding arrangements are to be emulated by all.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Old 05-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
dragonflyreptiles
Here are a couple of non toxic reptile plant links:

http://www.geocities.com/chameleoncr...xicplants.html

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/g...our-terrarium/

this site also gives info on how to offset Potho intake
http://chameleoncare911.tripod.com/id6.html

This site does indicate that the foilage of the dumb cane is toxic (Dieffenbachia) to Chameleons
http://www.chameleonsonline.com/toxic-plants.php

I did not write the above list so I do not know the full value of the information but all of these lists are easily avaliable online and have been for some time.

I personally use only pothos for veileds with no problems.

When in doubt do not use the plant, Veileds do eat the vegetation and could eat an unknown toxic plant if it is in the cage.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Chameleon Company
Wendy,
Thanks for the lists. I have to point out that the only one which appeared to list "toxic" plants provides no basis for its conclusion:

"This site does indicate that the foilage of the dumb cane is toxic (Dieffenbachia) to Chameleons
http://www.chameleonsonline.com/toxic-plants.php

I strongly question the basis of the conclusions (aka list) here., as they are not given. While I agree that there are plenty of readily available plants that have a track record of no problem, I also think that there are numerous lists available that have no factual chameleon basis for their caution. The myth of ficus and eye problems crumbles under the evidence of thousands of hobbyist interactions, not to mention that many ficus are both native, and introduced, to Madagascar. I have no plans to rub the white sap of ficus into my chameleons' eyes, and suggest that chameleons don't do likelwise when we aren't looking. Native occurance of foliage is the best argument for inclusion in a list of acceptable plants, but yet the myth survives in many lists by people who needed only a keyboard to post their "expertise". Wendy, I do not fault you in the least, and applaud your efforts to provide information. But the only substantive list to which you linked is flawed excessively, as is every other list available. It is likely that plants exist in Madagascar, Yemen, and other environs, that native chameleon species know to avoid. We all know of the fatal effects of bearded dragons consuming lightning bugs, adn non-native interaction has its risks. But lacking true evidence, all of these lists are hocus pocus, written by people who although well intentioned, may have been motivated primarily by their own desire to to see themselves having authored something on the internet. I have no intention of putting columbines in with any of my chameleons, but I'll bet that there isn't one confirmed instance of it ever having been observed as being a problem. For folks to mention "remedies" for the consumption of pothos by chameleons is to add bad science on top of speculation. The data just isn't there. I totally agree that it is best to err on the side of caution. But I must implore that much of what is presented as fact is fiction. There may be lists out there that are based on documented observations, but I do not know of them, and suggest that they represent very short lists. But, as Wendy says, stay safe.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!