My Veileds setup - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
Lucille
I dint mean to open a can o worms, but at least I learned about lightening bugs and dragons.

I really did not think, when I made my comment, that chams are after all substantially different from birds and kitties and the like.

Anyway, the important thing is that we are all thinking along the lines of safety, and the other important thing is that we are all green with envy about those magnificent cages!!!! Great job!

Old 05-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
Matthias
as others have said, those really are beautiful enclosures. really great.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #13
Chameleon Company
Hello Lucille!
It is a can of worms only because keeping chameleons is inherently a can of worms! Every experienced hobbyist has a chameleon in their history that seemed to be doing great, and then took a turn for the worse quickly, or just dropped dead, and all the keeper could do was speculate. While we know much more about lighting than we did a decade ago, other areas such as supplementation are still more speculative. Keepers are always seeking out the tried and true "what worked for you"! Where there is no clear path to follow, it falls to educated guessing. Foliage and cage furnishings is a pet peeve of mine, as it is one area full of unqualified conjecture. Here at The Chameleon Company, we are up to about 900 cages, and we rely heavily on pressure treated lumber for their construction. Many other hobbyists have used if for decades. Can I tell you its "good" for the chameleons ........ absolutely not. But I have no evidence that it is bad, as we have achieved multi-generational propagation in large numbers using such, and it serves our business needs better than any other product that we know of. But many avoid it because they are not aware of its track record, and they've seen the local kids playground get an expensive make-over. It is inevitable that there are plants and insects and other husbandry snafus out there that are to be avoided, such as lightning bugs. Good information takes time to get around, and bad information takes time to undo. Countless bearded dragons will die again this year from consuming lightning bugs, as will other pet lizards. That information was enough for me to avoid lightening bugs in the greenhouse. While chameleons seem capable of far more disgression in their choice of prey than do beardies, I would caution all as to the potential for disaster there.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
dragonflyreptiles
Lucille you are too funny, no can of worms opened lol Jim is a great guy, Ive had several phone conversations with him over the last couple of years from gettinghelp breeding my crix to buying my first set of Tamatave Panthers form him (which I regret selling now)

The list are not great but its all there is thats why I said "I did not write the above list so I do not know the full value of the information..." to begin with.

The problem with Ficus is that when they shed they will rub on the brances to help remove the skin and they could rub the sap in their eyes. Now, Ive never had it happen but some claim it has happened to them. Again I do not know the validity of those claims.

When in doubt be safe, thats all we can do is use the best info avaliable (which may be crap at times) and go from there with the hope that we are doing the best thing for our Chams.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Chameleon Company
Wendy,
Couldn't agree more than to err on the side of safety. From the average hobbyist perspective, who may have 2-5 chameleons, to lose one (or 20-50% of their stock) does not give them much in the way of statistical data to point at a possible culprit, and the gaps must be filled with best-guess speculation. An obvious advantage that I have here is that I currently have over 200 breeder chameleons in with ficus, and another 100 or so exposed to avocado, citrus, diefenbachia, rubber plant, banana, etc. The list is long. I can tell you that there is no statistical relationship between ficus and eye problems, but only because I've had large numbers of animals exposed to the possibility for years. I also know that the sap is an irritant, as anyone who has pruned them without gloves can attest to. A 10-20% occurrance of any anomaly in our herd would be like sirens going off in our ears. It has happened, but the one fortunate thing of having a herd is that it can be pinpointed rather quickly, hopefully eliminated, and then avoided in the future. It also puts me in a position to either support, or discredit, past hypothesis' about husbandry that relied a bit too much on speculation, and yet were put forward anyway. Our best guiding principle when we are facing a husbandry issue for which we have no good input is "what would Mother Nature do?", and make that the basis for our solution. Wendy, my apologies for not realizing it was you, and acknowledging such. Glad that all is well, and would only hope to encourage you to keep the links and info coming, as it always opens eyes wider.

Jim Flaherty

Old 05-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #16
niels
Hey Jim you never wrote back to me?
Do you have a job beside selling chams? I would love to see some pics of all you cages, that would be great. I also have a dream, that i one day can work with this hobby, but Denmark is not big enough to only sell chams.

ups got a bit of topic, but would just love to see some pics from you. It's a shame that you don't have a homepage.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #17
dragonflyreptiles
Jim, you can't remember everyone off the top of your head, its probably been 9 months since Ive called you too. But you are and will always be my cham go to guy! You are one of the best out there and I have always learned a ton from every conversation we have had.

Ive never had a problem with ficus either, had a friend prune her and put the Jackson right back in and he got sap all over him but was fine after she got him cleaned up and a new tree that was unpruned.

I plan to get some more panthers next spring, probably around the 1st of Feb so you know ill be calling you!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #18
g&mgeckos
Thumbs up

Jim, very nice cages! You have done a great job!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Chameleon Company
... Hey Neils

My apologies for this thread getting turned around a bit, as the originally posted cages were works of art. Neils, my apologies, but I did try the private email function in this website, with pictures attached, and apparently it went into the Twilight Zone. MY ISP is also bad with both incoming and outgoing overseas emails. Our business email is chamco@tampabay.rr.com. Try to send me your private email address. In the meantime, here's a couple of pictures. This is my full time job. We are still expanding and evolving, and moving more into wholesale. Wendy, we have lots of panthers, and they are costing less all the time!

Jim Flaherty
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #20
dragonflyreptiles
Jim M, I love your set ups, you have done a great job for sure!

Jim F, that is awesome, we talked about your setups and greenhouses but seeing them is even better than I pictured in my head.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!