Help please airplane question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
Cement3
Exclamation Help please airplane question

So I am going on a flight and I was just wondering if I take two turantulas and my ball python in my checked baggage will TSA most likely find them?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
E.Shell
Can't answer the TSA side of it, but putting animals in general baggage will subject them to dangerous temperature variations that may prove fatal.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
The Magic maker
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Can't answer the TSA side of it, but putting animals in general baggage will subject them to dangerous temperature variations that may prove fatal.

I work in aviation TSA will never allow you to bring that aboard any plane cabin. Your best bet is FedEx but most reptiles are not allowed in the cabin. But you could check with the airline to see if they can be checked in with cargo but most airlines won't even let you ship these animals with their animal program so I would go with Fedex or if you are just going on a trip find a reptile boarding facility.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
The Magic maker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement3 View Post
So I am going on a flight and I was just wondering if I take two turantulas and my ball python in my checked baggage will TSA most likely find them?
Please don't try to smuggle them on board the aircraft it won't end well for you or the animals.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
nickolasanastasiou
That course of action would be bad for you and bad for the animals. I urge you to reconsider.

What I do if I am picking up an animal while traveling domestically via airline might be of use to you. If I have an afternoon to early evening flight home, I use FedEx Priority Overnight to ship to myself at my home and tender the package earlier that day at a suitable FedEx location (this is logistically identified ahead of time). If my flight would experience a severe delay, I could have the package held at a close-to-home facility for pickup. Alternatively, I can ship to a relative or other trusted sort of individual if the animal is of such a robust constitution that a day or two of coached care would not be overly risky to its health and safety. This is best done with advanced planning.

For example, when living in MO and at a wedding in FL, I knew I would be able to pick up two tortoises an hour or so from our place of lodging. I paid for the animals weeks in advance and secured the date for pickup. I had shipping supplies sent to my place of lodging. I identified a FedEx location that would accept live animal shipments and determined its Priority Overnight cutoff schedule. On the day prior to my return flight (the morning of an early evening wedding), I picked up the animals, packed them, created the label, and submitted the package for delivery the following day to my brother-in-law who was staying at my house in MO to mind my collection on a basic level during my absence. He received it and I arrived that same day to regain custody. All went well.

That is one scenario that might offer you a wiser path forward if you adopted all - or at least key elements - of it. There are various ways to craft this sort of thing into a workable solution that is far more outcome-positive than the initial proposal in my opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!