My *fast* growing Hognose collection - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
phoenix-cry
I'm not disputing your marker I'm just finding the articles confusing when put together. I think you used the word anomaly not aberrant. I guess the part I didn't understand in the second article was that the anomaly only shared two traits with the anaconda but you were still saying you were certain it was anaconda. Are you sugestion that the only two important traits are white margins and black belly?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Rextiles
I'm not disputing your marker I'm just finding the articles confusing when put together.

That's ok. I suppose that my posts, when taken out of context in relation to the previous posts of discussion that those posts were originally intended, that they might seem "off". Perhaps if you scroll to the bottom of either of those links and see the entire thread and read everything from the beginning that perhaps they will make better sense. I only offered them to you as they contain the crux of information and felt that the information itself would prove relevant on it's own.

I think you used the word anomaly not aberrant. I guess the part I didn't understand in the second article was that the anomaly only shared two traits with the anaconda but you were still saying you were certain it was anaconda.

Yes, that female, as she is compared to all the other Anacondas I've hatched out, is the only anomaly in regards to having, what I would call, a normal (or close to) dorsal pattern but having a solid black belly and the "white wall" ventral coloration. When this was discussed further with Brent on the phone in 2010, he also seemed to confirm that there were "Low-Key" Anacondas that appeared like Normals based on the dorsals but that the ventrals were definitely a more definitive marker. Unfortunately, Brent has always seemed to be on the quiet side about posting more in depth on the forums about his observations on Anaconda phenotypes and genetics nor has he offered much in the ways of emails, but he was always informative on the phone. Brent has also claimed that Low-Key Anacondas seem to produce better looking F1 Anacondas although I do not understand why they would nor can I confirm his claims. But this is what he has told me.

While I'm not saying I'm completely certain that she is in fact an Anaconda, the signs are definitely there. To prove my assumptions, of course I will have to breed her to an unrelated Normal and see what offspring I produce. Unfortunately, she was a real stubborn eater her first year, so she's still not up to breedable size as I had hoped she would be by this time. But she will remain in my collection and I will eventually breed her to find out exactly what she is. But again, the main point in that article was to point out the misconceptions of how many were describing Anacondas by certain markers that have proven over the last several years to not be 100% accurate, such as just having a solid black belly (these have been found on many non-Anaconda Normals), reduced neck pattern (there are definite Anacondas that do have patterning on their necks) and of course an overall reduced dorsal pattern or the proverbial "spots" where some Anacondas definitely have more like saddles or bars on their dorsal than spots. The only thing that has remained constant with every single Anaconda I have seen is the "white wall" of course accompanied by an almost, if not all, solid black belly. That is how I determine an Anaconda, by use of the "white wall" ventral marker which of course I believe answers your question "Are you sugestion that the only two important traits are white margins and black belly?"

I have written lots about this and none of my peers who have had been keeping and breeding Anacondas as long as I have have disputed my claims. That's not to say that I believe I'm 100% correct, there could always be that new anomaly that proves me wrong, but so far my assertions have help up since those articles were written 2 years ago.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
phoenix-cry
Ah! yes, makes a LOT more sense with that particular context! Thanks! I am loving the hognose, such curiosity! I open the tub and my albino rises up out of the aspen like a cobra to see what is going on...then hisses at me. Love it. But I must profess that I am much more skilled with identifiying ball python morphs.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Rextiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Ah! yes, makes a LOT more sense with that particular context! Thanks!
You are very welcome! I'm glad that everything I offered makes more sense now.

Quote:
I am loving the hognose, such curiosity! I open the tub and my albino rises up out of the aspen like a cobra to see what is going on...then hisses at me. Love it.
I know exactly what you mean. I've kept Corns and Kings for 20 years but since I got into Hognose 6 years ago, that's pretty much all I'm interested in now, having a collection of about 130 Hogs. While all breeds of snakes have their own kind of personality, I have found Hognose are a lot more endearing, or at least personable, to me.

Quote:
But I must profess that I am much more skilled with identifiying ball python morphs.
Well, truth be known, there's an intense amount of fervor right now with Hognose as many believe this species to be the next Corn snake or Ball Python market, so with that, many are declaring unproven morphs and overproducing trying to edge their way into the marketplace as the next "big time" breeder. The basic well known and proven Hognose morphs that have been around prior to these last 3 years on are well known and more or less proven, I'm more skeptical of some of these so-called morphs that have arisen within the last 3 years. While there are very interesting traits being exhibited, not a lot is really known nor are some of these breeders being prudent enough to spend the years it can sometimes take to fully comprehend. So be careful and always ask a lot of questions when deciding on something not well documented and if it doesn't sound 100%, then it's probably safe to pass if there's a lot of money involved!

Good luck to you and your snakes!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
phoenix-cry
There are still people in the ball python world trying to pass pretty normals off as 'The Next Big Thing' so I can see that happening in hog too.

My real goal in the end is to have red Anaconda, normal Anaconda, and albino anaconda and of course all the fun little normals that go along with the clutches.

I'm just a small time hobbiest so I'm certainly not looking to be a famous breeder. I work with a small pool of snakes. They are part pets part hobby.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens with her clutch next year!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
aaronhome27
This is my possible het Toffee Belly female hog. She is out of anaconda breeding but is not an anaconda. Not an anaconda and deffinitely not toffee belly visual. She is all messed up

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
phoenix-cry
She's purdy!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
aaronhome27
Thanks! She is slowly becoming our favorite one of the bunch. She was a little hissy when we got her but now when we open her tub she will go where ever your hand is. She definitely has her own personality and actually seems to love to be held. Like you we are not going to be a big time breeders here either. All of our hogs are not just breeders but pets as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
phoenix-cry
My gal is insane hissy! I step in the room and she hisses. But if you pick her up she stops. Very odd. Such fun little snakes!! Good luck on getting some toffee!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
aaronhome27
My Anaconda is that way some days too. I swear he can jump an inch or two in the air when he decides he wants to show off. Very funny to watch. Then some days you walk in and he is as calm as can be without a care in he world. Amazing how personal they can be from one to the next.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!