whats YOUR favorite hognose - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: whats YOUR favorite type of hognose?
western hognose 80 59.70%
eastern hognose 15 11.19%
southern hognose 5 3.73%
mexican hognose 5 3.73%
tri color hognose 21 15.67%
other-describe below 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
markface
i'm very partial to the easterns as those are what i grew up catching . when i was a kid our family would do family reunuins down on the outer banks of north carolina and i've found god knows how many of them over the years . the westerns are pretty nice too . we have a bunch of hatchling westerns in the petshop i work at right now .

Old 10-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Thats great art!!! I like to see children taking an interest in our hobby. My son is only 9 months old, but is already watching them. Maybe he will be a keeper too, but I am not going to force him. I can dream though.

My Boyfriends Little Brother and sister love the snakes we have and so do alot of the other children that live in the complex, including my landlord, ( whom i gave a ball python to recently!) I hope to get the kids addicted to snakes too, but i guess well see. Theyre a bit too crazy for snakes right at this time, but im hoping in the future i can convice their mother to let them get a pair of corns or something easy.

Im kind of glad that im living in a place thats fairly accepting of snakes. our neighbors dont mind them and even like to look at them when i bring them outside. though it seems that most everyone else around me HATES them!

In the Poll i chose eastern hoggies just cause thats the first kind of hoggy i ever got to see. Theyre pretty interesting little buggers! i love the play dead bit they do!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #13
Pug
I'm a western fan.

I've got a 32" western named Snakey (generic, I know). Her pics are somewhere in this forum. They're my favorite because they're friendly, don't need a lot of room (although she's going to be in a 4 foot by 2 foot cage) and look cool. Easterns look cool too, but having to feed toads is kind of a hassle.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
Schlyne
I like the look of the tricolors, but I really love the westerns. I don't own any yet, but I'm trying to get the permit process going (threatened native species in IL).

Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
Lauren Summey
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Klass
My eleven year old daughter, Dakota, was in my snake room the other day looking at my boas. She saw my only retic and asked about it. She thought all snakes look like boas. (I have failed as a herp father). So we hit the computer and I introduced her to the world of snakes. Of everything we looked at she fell in love with the hognose. (not a bad choice either, could have been a gaboon). I told her to do the research, learn all about it, pass my test and then she can buy one at an upcoming show that I attend. She chose the western on your poll. I am excited for her. I hope she gets the bug.
aww, that's great! I hope that she gets the "herp bug" too!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Lauren Summey
I voted Westerns

I've only kept Westerns and Easterns (though I don't own any hoggies right now), but I'd have to say that the Westerns are my favorites.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
Nanci
I have a Tri (L. pulcher) and an Eastern. I love the Eastern, but feeding her has been extremely stressful. My Tri, OTOH, is voracious and eats unscented FT pinks within seconds of being placed in his feeding container.

The Eastern is very gentle and shy, and I love her hood-spreading and hissing and puffing. I was also surprised about how much time she spends hanging in vines. She is out before the sun comes up and stays out all day.

The Tri is in hiding. I have never seen him out except on his first day. He is very gentle, too. If I set him down, his first reaction it to try to burrow. It's pretty funny. He also twitches like a horse if I touch him- just in one little area. He doesn't hiss or spread his hood- if he even has one- I don't think so. He makes a great photo subject since he'd rather curl up and burrow than run away.

Both are unique- but Tri got my vote for favorite because feeding him is so easy.

Nanci

Old 01-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
The BoidSmith
Lystrophis d'orbigny localy known as "false yara or false coral", a southern South American species; hands down beautiful species!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
Nanci
Dan, do you _have_ a dorbignyi yet??? They are quite out of _my_ price range, though I agree, they are very beautiful.

Nanci

Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
The BoidSmith
Yes, I do. Awesome snakes!

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!