The ALL NEW Fauna FREE seed Gift and Exchange - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora For Sale/Wanted Ads & Trades

Notices

Flora For Sale/Wanted Ads & Trades Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #41
catherine carney
HI Christina, Mike, and all--

Just a thought on shipping: plants ship best when dormant, but even things like oaks tolerate being shipped in total darkness for a few days. Just like the sagos, plant them, give them a drink of water, and get them into light when you get them. They may drop some (or all) of their leaves, but they will grow new ones.

High temps during shipping are more problematic--either during transit or due to being left in the sun on delivery. Things like "perishable" and "keep from heat and cold" on the outside of the box helps (sounds like shipping herps and fish, doesn't it?).

Catherine

Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #42
Christina Vincent
Thanx, that does help with shippin tips!

Mike- want a bag of leaves for the millipedes should a sapling drop them during shipping? Lol i 'd feel like poo if you got um all excited for a stick O.o lol - teasing...I really think the plants here have super powers lmao 1st few yrs we were clearing land we'd chop/grind/chainsaw/BURN - repeatedly and everything came back in weeks with avengence. If I can pack it right I think they do just fine

Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #43
Christina Vincent
The heat thing is ok now, I am in the South and the June thru Aug months are BRUTAL heat so those would be BAD months for any live plant shipping here unless some serious precautions were taken, even then much like winter n herps, summer here would be a "wait for weather improvement" shipping availability right? I'd think an hour in the truck to pick up n send it would wilt it and a day could kill it (tho these plants survive ours summers regularly)
I don't know about 'cooling' a box, I'm well trained on heating for herps lol cooling I haven't had to do, venting I have, but I would think cold packs would be just as bad as excessive heat? I suppose it depends on the plants being shipped and their specific tolerences...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
Christina Vincent
Hey Mike- I found a box that I think would work. We had a punching bag delivered and I still have the box O.o lol I took a look around and the saplings are about 3 feet high on average a few a bit taller. I'll be having at um in a day or so. I think if I wrap the roots well/bagged with a lil soil and maybe tie 4-5 saplings together to prevent them beating each other up...it'll work just fine? And the sagos will fit, but it may be cheaper to ship them seperate (sago pups are heavy so flat rate boxes are awesome for small heavy guys) I just haven't had time to figure it out that far sorry! But I will soon. I may have PM'd this but decided if others wanted to ship to each other but weren't sure how -there'd be ideas here. I was hesistant for the 1st few but I'm getting more comfy with it making sharing a whole lot easier than local pick up only.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
catherine carney
I haven't tried "cooling" a box of plants or fish, but when I ship I usually put everything into a styro cooler, then pack that into a cardboard box with newspaper or peanuts to cushion the individual bags (fish are usually double bagged, aquatic plants usually single bagged with no water, terrestrial plants single bagged around the roots with a damp towel or two).

If you're worried about saplings shifting and breaking in the box, find a bamboo stake about the length of the tallest (from root tip to top) and tie all of the saplings to it in a couple of places. That way if anything shifts the stake will stop the live plants from hitting the ends and breaking....

Hope this helps!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #46
Christina Vincent
It does! The bamboo thing especially...omfg do I have enough bamboo growin lol

Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
Christina Vincent
So I have spade shaped elephant ear bulbs sprouting like mad, banana tree babies (they get HUGE -I have adult uncut (lol) cresting the top of my 2 story place easy and cut ones (lol) that hit 16ft annually), I have bamboo roots that are sprouting O.o beautiful - but do your research its aggressive!, I have the Sago palm pups/seedlings/seeds, Loquat tree saplings, Various Oak tree saplings, Nandina shrubs rooted off shoots, and I probably have any native Louisiana plant here on the property lol. So if anyone is interested in the above let me know. If someone has a request (we have pretty flowering grass here- a lady sent me a pic askin if I had some avail, I did! All over lol I didn't know what it was but the pic and real name helped me find it here!
I'll update my pic album later with more of a variety.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #48
Mikeg414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Vincent View Post
So I have spade shaped elephant ear bulbs sprouting like mad, banana tree babies (they get HUGE -I have adult uncut (lol) cresting the top of my 2 story place easy and cut ones (lol) that hit 16ft annually), I have bamboo roots that are sprouting O.o beautiful - but do your research its aggressive!, I have the Sago palm pups/seedlings/seeds, Loquat tree saplings, Various Oak tree saplings, Nandina shrubs rooted off shoots, and I probably have any native Louisiana plant here on the property lol. So if anyone is interested in the above let me know. If someone has a request (we have pretty flowering grass here- a lady sent me a pic askin if I had some avail, I did! All over lol I didn't know what it was but the pic and real name helped me find it here!
I'll update my pic album later with more of a variety.
LOLOLOLOL Dirty mind much Christina??? Lol

Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #49
Christina Vincent
I stroll thru the gutter often, ya
Actually tho I was typing AND having the debate of that particular topic lol so I suppose I could not resist such an accurate description!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #50
Beardiefreak26
does any one have some creeping fig seeds or cutting

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!