Odd Abrasions/Spots on Kingsnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
scaledverts
Question Odd Abrasions/Spots on Kingsnake

Hello,

I just recently received a new kingsnake a few days ago. He has developed these odd spots on his body that look like abrasions/bruises. It almost looks like the scales have blood at their base from being accidently bent forward or something like that but there are also other areas where it looks like bruising below the skin (second picture closest to the camera).

Is it possible that he got a bit of frost bite in transit? It was hot here during shipment so a large cold pack had to be included.

I'm kind of at a loss here. Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated. He is otherwise outwardly healthy without visible mites, active, and has already eaten for me.

I'm sure he'll be fine after a betadine bath or two but I'm just really confused as to what happened to create the situation.

Thanks,

Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
ReptileGeek181
Hello, I'm sorry I can't offer any real help with your kingsnake, but I wanted to know if you received this snake from a reputable person, because if I were in your shoes I would suspect that there was an underlying condition that the seller did not disclose and the symptoms happened to develop after you received the snake.

I hope it's nothing at all, he's a great looking snake!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
scaledverts
Hey Eddie,

The seller is someone that is reputable and he and I have been talking about the injuries already. I'm just mystified as to what is going on to have caused this is all.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
jtupper
Have the "bruises" gone away, or getting better? Or are they getting worse? Just curious as I have never seen anything like that.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
scaledverts
It is completely new to me too!

By day 2 in my care he looked like the photos posted. He still ate for me and has been getting betadine baths along with Baytril orally. He is about to go into shed now so I should have a better idea of what is going on with him in a week or so.

As time progressed the spots became more numerous initially, and now they are starting to change color to a darker brownish color (almost like a bruise). Many of the spots have raised areas around them that is likely localized swelling. I'm not sure if it is a systemic infection or if injuries from transport. Once he sheds I should have a clearer picture of what the spots are. I'm still hopeful that I can save him and his genetics!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!