atrox driving me nuts! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
TooManyBurmese
atrox driving me nuts!

And I am sure they're not happy either. They are not "mine" although they are here and under my care and responsibility. I do water them and feed them. I am not a venomous keeper and I am at my wits end.

I know that they vibrations on the floor upset them. I have 3 dogs, and an older home so every little pitter patter sets the snakes rattling. I have tried moving them to other rooms, but still rattling.

I can only imagine the stress these snakes are going through. And I can't stand their noise either!

Is there a trick to setting up the cage to recieve minimal vibrations? I have a bunch of hides in there, and three sides of the cage is covered, and the back is against the wall, and that cut down visual. But I don't think it's good to have them living where they're always upset, and rattling.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Boidaddic14
may sound dumb but wat my friend does with their atrox is the have the cage on top of some pillows and the back is on the wall never even know its their. or maybe put the cage on one of those sleeping bag pads i think their like 8 bucks at wal mart idk just a few ideas to minimize the vibrations in the ground.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
herpetological
Atrox question

Atrox tend to be a bit high-strung compared to their eastern counter parts. They pick-up vibration, movement and heat. Therefore, it would be difficult to provide an environment where they would not be stressed. especially wild caught's. Let me know if we can help..

Old 11-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
TooManyBurmese
I am going to rig up a "vibration dampener" and hopefully this will cut back on their noise/stress. Thanks boidless

herp: if this doesn't work I will be bothering you

Old 11-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
psilocybe
I knew someone who rescued an atrox from someones yard and took it home...it was rattling even when no one was in the room! After an hour or two of CONSTANT rattling he couldn't take it anymore and brought it to the rescue I volunteer at.

I don't really agree with releasing crotalids more than a very short distance from where they were found. On all species that have been studied, release more than a kilometer or so from where then animal was found resulted in very high mortality rates. That really has nothing to do with this thread, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!