how to maintain thermoregulation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
llechler
how to maintain thermoregulation

I know this is way in advance, but since moving am starting to worry about how I will maintain thermoregulation in the summertime. In the winter it's easy because it's cold and I just keep heat lights/emitters on my leos 24/7, but in the summers it'll get 90-100 F and with those kinds of temps don't dare to use more heat. Is there an alternative? Is there a way to create a cooler side? Some kind of cheap metal or rock, something that would stay cooler than room temperature? Would something like this actually work?

Just trying to toss some ideas around, I would hate to have my heat AND air conditioner on during summertim. Any input would be great.

-Linda

Old 01-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
llechler
Just another thought, would something like this cause the same complications as a heat rock?

Are there any other options for a cooling side such as cool pads, etc?

Old 01-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
LadyGecko
I don't know how everyone else copes during the hot summer months but I live in the mid-west-about 100 miles So. of Chicago and I absolutely have to run the ac when the temps hit 85 plus.
I also shut my diurnal reptiles lights off during the hottest part of the day.
Funny thing- I haven't had any problems with the Leos viv's temps-probably because they don't need use any basking lights.
I do turn down their heat mats to compensate for the higher temps in the house as I keep my house at about 78-just enough to take most of the humidity out of the air that we are famous for having here year round-YUCK!!
I suppose that you could use a fan over the screen top of a viv to bring some cooler air into the viv if you can't run your ac.
I know that it works for fish tanks.
Sandy

Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
Gregg M
Here is a way that most people use to regulate heat in the cage or rack...... You can use belly heat on one side of the cage or bin and have the belly heat source plugged into a thermostat.... The thermostat will lowwer or raise the heat when need be...... I runs itself..... You do not have to do much for it to maintain properly..... I do not use heat lamps for leos...... Keeping a light on them 24/7 is not a good idea...... That can be stressful on any reptile, nevermind a nocturnal reptile....

Old 01-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
llechler
So are you saying even ceramic heat emitters which do not have any light are bad for them?

What I don't understand is... a thermostat will LOWER the temps in the cage as well? I thought they just turned on and off when heat was needed to maintain the proper amount of heat. But say room temp is 100 degrees, it will actually make it cooler so it can be around 80 degrees?

Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Gregg M
#1 Belly heat is usually the best choice for leos....

#2 A thermostat will not lower heat..... It just shuts it off....

#3 You should not be keeping most species of reptile in a room with an air temp of 100 degrees.....

Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Gregg M
My advice is to use the ac in the summer and heat the enclosers correctly....

Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
llechler
That's what I have been doing in the past. I was just trying to see if there was an alternative.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
llechler
Thanks for the advice though, I will continue to use ac and heat and will save up for under tank heaters. Does anyone know of a place where they are sold for a reasonable price?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
groovygeckos
????

so you have not used any heat for your leopards ? the albinos you have posted are almost black thats why i ask ! temps. below 84 degrees will have that effect on an albino (they darken) ! the thermostat will turn off the heat , if you have temperatures that rise above the "set-temp" and will allow the cage to cool off some !

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!