Getting ready for breeding season..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Getting ready for breeding season.....

I will be trying my hand at breeding my BP's this year (you know, the ones I got from TSE (DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!! )). Was wondering, has anyone here ever put two males together for (supervised) combat in order to induce them to a stronger breeding response? I'd like to stack the odds as far in my favor as possible and thought this might be a good tactic. If so, any advice to offer on this subject? Thanks for any counsel given. Later!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragginDragon
I will be trying my hand at breeding my BP's this year (you know, the ones I got from TSE (DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!! )). Was wondering, has anyone here ever put two males together for (supervised) combat in order to induce them to a stronger breeding response? I'd like to stack the odds as far in my favor as possible and thought this might be a good tactic. If so, any advice to offer on this subject? Thanks for any counsel given. Later!
Yes its done. There are all kinds of tricks to get stubborn males to get it done. Moistened shed from another male is also another tactic.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Melinda
I also put my male in with the female and spritz them both with a bit of water.

And I'm right there with ya on the TSE thing!! grrrrrrrr

Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Ed Clark
John, it does depend if your breeding morphs or normals, when your breeding morphs its important to have that 1 morph male breeding your chosen female with no chances of that other male breeding her.

Combat with male ball pythons is not as aggressive as other species and is safe to put 2 males together.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
darkbloodwyvern
combat

I am curious what kind of combat would one expect of two breeding size males? Do they just try to knock the other over, or do they bite? When does one would separate the two to introduce the desired male to the breeding female?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Thanks very much...

..to all of you for your input! Ed, it's probably safe to assume that my balls aren't morphs of anything except 100% Het for "Making Me Look Like An A**" . I take it then you introduce the 2nd male in with the pair while you have them together at the beginning of the season?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Pink Lady Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
I am curious what kind of combat would one expect of two breeding size males? Do they just try to knock the other over, or do they bite? When does one would separate the two to introduce the desired male to the breeding female?
I have a video on one of my website pages of 2 males fighting. Some girl had posted it on another forum I'm on and was like, "look @ my snakes playing"...

http://www.pinkladyconstrictors.com/multsnakes.html

Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
fuscusking13
Well ignorance is bliss... but that is one of the best videos I have seen of combatting ball pythons(although the quality of the video wasnt so hot). Those two were very serious about it. It was funny I put my adult male burm (all of 35 pounds) in with my male rock last year (who weighed 65-70 lbs) hoping that the rock would get in the mood to breed for me as he had shown no interest in the female even after cycling. Well just my luck my little scrappy male burm kicked his and when I opened the cage the rock male flew out into my arms to get away from him lol. I cant win. I get the fairy male rock python(who I swore was a het for something, possibly albino as he looked similar in coloration to a het for albino burm, the way the gold is more apparent), oh well. Good luck with your future breeding! Dan M.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
John, it does depend if your breeding morphs or normals, when your breeding morphs its important to have that 1 morph male breeding your chosen female with no chances of that other male breeding her.
If they are codoms and you don't care which male sires the clutch then go to it! I know plenty of people that back up codom males with other codom males. Just don't want to play that game with recessives!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Melinda
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragginDragon
..to all of you for your input! Ed, it's probably safe to assume that my balls aren't morphs of anything except 100% Het for "Making Me Look Like An A**" . I take it then you introduce the 2nd male in with the pair while you have them together at the beginning of the season?
I feel your pain, I've got 6 normal looking heads peeking outta their eggs. TSE het X Albino male. arrrrgh!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!