Profile: Harley - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #31
crotalusadamanteus
Yeah, mine was living in there for several years, wasn't as large as that girl seems to be, and manged a 6 inch cut from wedging between her tub and the side of the tank. I also doubted anything would happen, but it didn't stop it from happening anyway.

Posting pictures in a public forum means you are bound to get comments. I refrained from making a comment at first, because I just had a feeling you'd display a "so what" type of attitude. Guess I was right. Your attitude speaks volumes of your concern for your animals.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
ShadowAceD
Yeah ... I kind of felt the same way, Richard. I don't suppose I can expect much more from someone who would let an adult female boa sit in a 75 gallon enclosure with dirty newspaper, dirty glass and no hide.

... or, you know ... someone who managed to lose a baby boa out of said enclosure for a bit ...

But, you are correct, when you post things in public, they are up for scrutiny. Especially if you are going to be breeding and want to be taken seriously and gain a worthwhile reputation.

I guess I will be more proactive about it though and say, Jonathan, if you want to keep her in that enclosure, at least make it more comfortable for her. I used to have terrariums before I got better caging, but I made sure it was worth it for the animal.

But, eh ... what do I know, right?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #33
mxracer4life
They have a point Jonathon. Once pictures are posted on a public forum it is open season to anyone. If I was you I would try to be a little more self conscious about the pictures you are posting. Everyone has dirty cages from time to time, but they don't take/post pictures when they are in that condition.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #34
Firebill
I remember when he first posted those pictures, she had her babies real soon afterwards. So would you manhandle a big gravid snake like that which is getting ready to drop babies to clean a 1 or 2 day old pee spot. I'm not going to!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebill View Post
I remember when he first posted those pictures, she had her babies real soon afterwards. So would you manhandle a big gravid snake like that which is getting ready to drop babies to clean a 1 or 2 day old pee spot. I'm not going to!
Good point Bill! And I think we all have started with glass aquariums at one point. I think the possibility of the glass cracking or breaking on big boa like that should be taken seriously though.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #36
Firebill
Jeremy, i've had a female break the corner piece of glass and bend the cam shaft of my lock on a boaphile, she was only 8' at the time.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #37
mxracer4life
Quote:
Jeremy, i've had a female break the corner piece of glass and bend the cam shaft of my lock on a boaphile, she was only 8' at the time.
Thats crazy. My doors on my current cage could hold a monster if needed.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #38
Firebill
It's is crazy, i came home from work and as soon as i got in the room i seen the glass on the floor and she wasn't in her cage. What the real trip is, she got underneath my other cages which were on casters, but on carpet, so there was only about 1.5 inches for her to get under there, and she was everybit at least 8" around. I had to take all my snakes out of that cage system and lean it forward to be able to get her.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #39
mxracer4life
Quote:
It's is crazy, i came home from work and as soon as i got in the room i seen the glass on the floor and she wasn't in her cage. What the real trip is, she got underneath my other cages which were on casters, but on carpet, so there was only about 1.5 inches for her to get under there, and she was everybit at least 8" around. I had to take all my snakes out of that cage system and lean it forward to be able to get her.
Good times...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #40
crotalusadamanteus
I wasn't even commenting on the dirty cage. Pretty obvious she was gravid, and many people don't mess with them until parturition. My comments were solely for the safety of the animal, and didn't involve any criticism on his husbandry, only the enclosure.

But hey, some people have to learn the hard way.

Sorry for taking the post off topic too BTW.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!