Caulker Cay - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Blue Gorgon
Caulker Cay

Not in the market yet, but when I am I'm definitely thinking that a male Caulker Cay is the way I want to go when I do get a boa. Small size, natural anery look, that handsome boa face... I hear a lot of mixed things about temperment, so I was curious to hear other folks experiences with them. My experience is more in the ball python/colubrid area, so this'll be different and I like to be prepared for a new animal WAY ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
pituophislady
Hi,

I have an 05 female Caulker Cay. She's one of the most amusing boas to watch. She's never bitten me, but she does have a lot of attitude. She thrashes around, moving her water dish, upsetting her hide box, occassionally hisses at nothing. But I can reach in her cage at anytime and she'll climb right up my arm. I call her my "little pisser".

If you're looking for a smaller boa, there are other locality boas that aren't as tempermental.

Amie

Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
hhmoore
I have 2.3 Caulkers...my biggest female is VERY hissy, but she has never struck; her male will occasionally hiss, and will sometimes strike (as long as I am far enough out of range - he never comes anywhere near me, so I am somewhat inclined to think is all show) but has never bitten, even when I reach in and pick him up when he is carrying on; the other 3 don't hiss or fuss at all. I think they are great little boas, and hope they really catch on. I'm a big fan of the Hog Island boas, too...a little bigger, but still a very manageable package.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Traci1
I have one Caulker Cay boa and I just love her. She does make me a bit nervous because she loves her food and is ready to strike when I take the lid off her cage, so I remove her with a snake hook if I am going to handle her. (I know, I am a wuss) But she's great, and so very pretty.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
tarantulakeeper
I have two, a male and a female, both bought direct from Gus at RioBravo. The male has always been very calm while the female came in quite hissy but has settled down very nicely. They are both '04s. They are great snakes! John

Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Blue Gorgon
RioBravo is where I'm planning to get mine from when I'm ready. They sound like snakes with a lot of personality! Attitude doesn't worry me, really, mostly I'm curious. It does sound like maybe the males tend to be a bit more laid back than the females, which is cool as I'm planning on a male. They sound perfect for me, really, as I want a boa but not one that gets big enough to require rabbits. A) easier on my freezer/feeder supply and B) I keep house rabbits, and better safe than sorry. Beautiful little guys with lots of personality... man, it's gonna be hard to wait.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
markface
i have never kept caulker kays , but i have thought about some for the future . they will have to wait till after i get a pair of hog island's first though . i've only seen one or two picks of them though so still not real familiar with them . if anyone has some pics , i'd really appreciate if you'd post them .

Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Blue Gorgon
Ooh, seconded, I'd love to see pics of people's Caulker Cays.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
hhmoore
I'll be able to post some tomorrow (I'm at work). I've got both indoor and outdoor shots.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
pituophislady
I don't know if this worked, but there is supposed to be a photo here.

[/IMG]

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!