young beardie help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
blyndsnypr
young beardie help

ok so I just adopted another animal today. this time is a little beardie, hes about 4.5 inches and supposedly 6-8 months. hes quite lethargic, lady said he has refused to eat for almost a month.
what do you recommend?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
OEdwards
Try to soak him in the bath(since he is new and might have parasites use a tubawear) with warm water 90-100 degrees only about to his bottom see if he will drink that always help mine when if first get them to adjust and reduce stress see if he might try to eat then. And since he is so liitle for his age take him to the vet sometimes internal parasites such as coccidia and pinworms can stunt the growth as well as other factors such as poor nutrition and improper care. Good Luck hope this helps. Oh and just for your other reptiles sake try to limit contact anyway possible wash your hands

Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Some basics you will need.
don't handle alot until it settles into its new home.

10.0 UVB tube.
basking bulb.
calcium.
crickets,meal worms or roaches.
chopped up collards or kale to start with.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
OEdwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Some basics you will need.
don't handle alot until it settles into its new home.

10.0 UVB tube.
basking bulb.
calcium.
crickets,meal worms or roaches.
chopped up collards or kale to start with.
I do not know about mealworms since it is so little impaction might be a problem.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Impaction is not a problem with meal worms. vary the diet with crickets,roaches and a variety of fresh greens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEdwards View Post
I do not know about mealworms since it is so little impaction might be a problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
barbie
I agree my little ones love meal worms. I have never had impaction problems. Keep him warm and i would give him some time to settle in. If he has not eaten for a MONTH he either has to be a new baby living on a yolk sack or in my opinion it has to be less than a month since it ate. I have never heard of a baby lasting that long without eating inless it was living on a yolk sack!!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
blyndsnypr
I got him to get a half dozen small crickets at least and hes very energetic now.
the lady was doing some work on the house, think he might of been inhaling something
because how hes basking and eating on his own unlike he would before I got him

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
LizardLover7
It may have been the lighting as well. If dragons dont have a basking light and uvb they act funny. The basking bulb is especially important in stimulating normal feeding behavior and mating behavior. (When the time comes) I would watch him closely. Measure his length and weight and take some pictures. Then, check it periodically to see if he's progressing. Watch his weight! That'll be a good way to tell if somethings wrong. Bearded dragons are pretty good at hiding their sickness from you and when they do, the weight is usually the first sign.
Good luck!
-Zach

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
blyndsnypr
I have a uvb bulb on him now
also hes eating well, 15-20 crickets a day with some veggies

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
LizardLover7
I meant to say UVA & UVB. But it sounds like he's doing better. Glad to hear he's eating like a champ!
-Zach

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!