Using Coldpacks - Summer Shipping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Abby
Using Coldpacks - Summer Shipping

Alright guys, I've perfected my extreme winter shipping methods, but when it comes to hot weather I get nervous. It is going to be about 84-85 outside today when I drop my package off at FedEx. I plan to use a cold pack but wanted to get a thread started on here for opinions on shipping in that kind of weather. Would love to hear everyone's experiences/stories. I appreciate it, in advance

I'm shipping Ball Pythons, BTW.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
hhmoore
I don't "routinely" use cold packs.
I generally drop my package off at FedEx after 6pm...if temps are 85 or under at that time, I don't see much need for them on my end (for BPs, since you specified)....but, there ARE other considerations: conditions when they'll be leaving FedEx, conditions at Memphis (if the box is going there), morning conditions at the destination.
I also ship to be held at FedEx the vast majority of the time, so I don't usually worry too much about temps later in the day.

If it is closer to 90 when I'm dropping off, IF I'm shipping, I'll probably cold pack...but how I do things depends on the destination. If the temps aren't expected to be high there, and will be decent in Memphis, I may cold pack the box in advance to lower the temps for the first few hours (the pack may well be removed when I close the box). If the box is going somewhere hot, I'll drop the cold pack in just before I leave the house. If it's high here, and high there (and I'm going to ship), I'll combine the two - precooling the box, then adding a cold pack at the last minute. These things assuming that I have the time available to play those games, of course.
It really isn't all that complicated - figure out what you are comfortable with for the particular species, and try to make sure that you keep them in range. If you can't, don't ship.
One thing I will suggest is remember to check the destination temps. I've received snakes that were coldpacked when my local temps at arrival were in the mid to high 40s. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I don't "routinely" use cold packs.
I generally drop my package off at FedEx after 6pm...if temps are 85 or under at that time, I don't see much need for them on my end (for BPs, since you specified)....but, there ARE other considerations: conditions when they'll be leaving FedEx, conditions at Memphis (if the box is going there), morning conditions at the destination.
I also ship to be held at FedEx the vast majority of the time, so I don't usually worry too much about temps later in the day.

If it is closer to 90 when I'm dropping off, IF I'm shipping, I'll probably cold pack...but how I do things depends on the destination. If the temps aren't expected to be high there, and will be decent in Memphis, I may cold pack the box in advance to lower the temps for the first few hours (the pack may well be removed when I close the box). If the box is going somewhere hot, I'll drop the cold pack in just before I leave the house. If it's high here, and high there (and I'm going to ship), I'll combine the two - precooling the box, then adding a cold pack at the last minute. These things assuming that I have the time available to play those games, of course.
It really isn't all that complicated - figure out what you are comfortable with for the particular species, and try to make sure that you keep them in range. If you can't, don't ship.
One thing I will suggest is remember to check the destination temps. I've received snakes that were coldpacked when my local temps at arrival were in the mid to high 40s. Needless to say, I was not happy.
Thank you Harald

Temps on her end are a little lower than mine, so I'm really just concerned with the temps at the beginning of shipping. Temps should be approx. 78-81F on her end tomorrow morning. This is going from OH to MI so I don't imagine it will be going to Memphis, but sometimes they do route them funny. I received a package from a similar area last week and it only went to Indianapolis then my area... Not sure if it would be the same in reverse, though.

The high for today is 88 here, but the forecast looks like it will be around 85-86 when I drop the package off, around 5 pm. My hub doesn't accept Express packages later than that, unfortunately. That's one thing I liked about using UPS - I could drop it off much later, making me feel a whole lot better about temps!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Diego Velarde
Good question Abby

I just shipped out 2 boxes to FL with almost identical weather conditions. It was in the high 70s here and mid 80s over there. One was a big adult, the other were hatchlings. No cold packs were used. I did pierce one ventilation hole on each side on the box (except top and bottom). The snakes made it there perfectly.
Luckily I can drop packages off at FedEx til 9.pm but I assumed I will have to use cold packs eventually...
Does anyone know how cold the inside of the box gets with a cold pack in it?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playballp View Post
I just shipped out 2 boxes to FL with almost identical weather conditions. It was in the high 70s here and mid 80s over there. One was a big adult, the other were hatchlings. No cold packs were used. I did pierce one ventilation hole on each side on the box (except top and bottom). The snakes made it there perfectly.
Luckily I can drop packages off at FedEx til 9.pm but I assumed I will have to use cold packs eventually...
Does anyone know how cold the inside of the box gets with a cold pack in it?
Thanks for your input Diego I just dropped the box off with 1 cold pack - I also put the box in the fridge all day before packing the snakes up, just for good measure. It was about 85 out, not scorching but hotter than I like.

I would also like to hear if anyone has done any actual testing of temperatures with coldpacks

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
bradleymoore
i shipped last summer when it was 106 degrees here (actual temperature without heat index) to new jersey early last august. to me, that was an ignorant decision on my part and it was a 1000g female pied i was shipping. i used a cold pack and everything went fine. not sure what the internal temperature of the box was, but i don't think i'll do it again.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
EricIvins
All my boxes get cold packs now, no matter the destination - I'll continue to do so up untill October.......

I don't plan on a 12 hour travel time like most........I always double potential travel time and pack accordingly, and I've never had any problems using that mindset when doing so........

Besides, Gel Packs are already outdated and ineffiecient........PCM packs or panels are the way to go for any shipping temperature........

Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Focal
Great thread Abby. Definitely something I want to hear opinions on and learn from.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
snowgyre
I think you're already fairly experienced with shipping, Abby, so apologies if I'm stating what you already know. Still, if inexperienced people are reading the thread I suppose it's useful information.

When I ship reptiles, I always try to figure out what the transit patterns are. I'm pretty lucky in Athens, GA, for example, since all the packages get sent directly to Atlanta and typically make direct flights to any destination. The easiest way to figure this out is to ship a reptile during excellent weather conditions and then pay attention to the tracking information, paying special attention to all the hops. Once you get a baseline understanding of where the animals are going to be, then you can plan better.

I remember reading a thread on here years ago about somebody who was shipping from hot Arizona to cold New York. They actually placed a heat pack AND a cold pack (in the form of ice cubes) in the same box. The theory was that the heat pack takes several hours to get to peak temperature, and by that time the animals would be out of hot Arizona. In the meantime, the ice cubes would keep the box cool as well as help moderate temperatures in the box later on in the trip. Now, I've never used this method myself, but the theory seems sound at least.

I've used cool packs a few times with leopard geckos, but only when the daytime high is 90F or above, and I try to avoid shipping in those conditions. Also, dropping the package off for the last pickup from your facility is the way to go as well, since you avoid the midday heat.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIvins View Post
All my boxes get cold packs now, no matter the destination - I'll continue to do so up untill October.......

I don't plan on a 12 hour travel time like most........I always double potential travel time and pack accordingly, and I've never had any problems using that mindset when doing so........

Besides, Gel Packs are already outdated and ineffiecient........PCM packs or panels are the way to go for any shipping temperature........
Thank you very much for contributing to this thread I am very curious about the PCM panels... Are they really as effective as they claim? Where do you get yours? I want to try them out, but I'm always afraid it might not work and then something bad would happen. Yep, I'm a worry-wort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Great thread Abby. Definitely something I want to hear opinions on and learn from.
Thank you I'm always for passing good knowledge on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I think you're already fairly experienced with shipping, Abby, so apologies if I'm stating what you already know. Still, if inexperienced people are reading the thread I suppose it's useful information.

When I ship reptiles, I always try to figure out what the transit patterns are. I'm pretty lucky in Athens, GA, for example, since all the packages get sent directly to Atlanta and typically make direct flights to any destination. The easiest way to figure this out is to ship a reptile during excellent weather conditions and then pay attention to the tracking information, paying special attention to all the hops. Once you get a baseline understanding of where the animals are going to be, then you can plan better.

I remember reading a thread on here years ago about somebody who was shipping from hot Arizona to cold New York. They actually placed a heat pack AND a cold pack (in the form of ice cubes) in the same box. The theory was that the heat pack takes several hours to get to peak temperature, and by that time the animals would be out of hot Arizona. In the meantime, the ice cubes would keep the box cool as well as help moderate temperatures in the box later on in the trip. Now, I've never used this method myself, but the theory seems sound at least.

I've used cool packs a few times with leopard geckos, but only when the daytime high is 90F or above, and I try to avoid shipping in those conditions. Also, dropping the package off for the last pickup from your facility is the way to go as well, since you avoid the midday heat.
No need to apologize to me Someone out there can use the info! Thanks! I ended up shipping the snakes and they arrived 100% fine, a little chilly from the cold pack but they weren't any worse for wear. It's funny, I feel 100 times better shipping in 15-30F weather than I do shipping in 85F+ weather. Atleast I know in the cold the temp in the truck isn't going to be much different from the outside temp... In the heat, I've heard those trucks can reach 120F... Scary!

Oh, and for the record... I asked my FedEx driver lady if Express packages are delivered in climate-controlled vehicles. They are NOT... So don't let anyone tell you they are unless your specific hub does this. Mine apparently does not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!