Nosy Be pic - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Chameleon Company
Nosy Be pic

I'm paid up, so I'm going to hope that the powers-that-be don't mind my treating this as the now defunct photo gallery (it is possible that I am too stupid to find it, if its still out there). Wanted to post a picture of a recent import WC Nosy Be. Have dealt with many from this locale in my days, with varying but infrequent true blue. This specimen looks this way all the time. There is no color alteration to this photo whatsoever, but I note that it was not a bright day, excellent for photography. I admit to usually claiming in the past, if only to myself, that pictures like this likely involved some color manipulation. Don't mind if this becomes a polite "my Nosy Be is prettier than your Nosy Be" thread, as there are plenty of us out there who genuinely appreciate this locale and screamer examples of it. Enjoy.

Jim Flaherty
The Cameleon COmpany, LLC
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Bringerofdoom
That is one awesome cham.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
Bringerofdoom
errr cam....

Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
FreakOfNature66
HOLY @#%$^ that thing is gorgeous!!!!

Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Reptayls
holy chameleons, Batman..... LOL
Absolutely outrageous, Jim - I think it's safe to say that yours IS prettier!!

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Chameleon Company
Wink ....I'm laughing a bit

Thanks Morgana. To all, please understand that I wasn't posting him as "the prettiest", although he is quite uncommon! I was saying it as an invitation for others to post any that they had ever had of this ilk, and I don't mind having some good-natured fun with dueling photos. As I said, I have had a few with some true blue, always a lighter hue, usually showed it sporadically, likely when fired up, etc. But never this dark and thorough, and he is literally like this all the time (about a month now). As I mentioned, he came off the plane like this, and hasn't changed. Eats like a horse too, and there is no blue dye in his food. It's going to be about 12 months before we have offspring from him coloring up, and we have to hope to get lucky and get him paired up with the right female(s) along the way. We currently have about 12 Nosy Be females as breeders, all unrelated, and I am going to try to get him time with all of them. Hopefully, in 2006 and beyond, I may get him hooked up with 50 different females, but not all unrelated. Wish I could replicate this. Thanks again.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company, LLC

Old 03-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Reptayls
I still think he is the "prettiest".... LOL

Sounds like you have his schedule booked!! If you do replicate his coloring, count us in for an offspring. I want to get on the list before the hordes jump on the bandwagon for an impressive blue nosey be.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
riverjop
WOW!!! jim, he is awsome! Does he have any brothers? hint..hint..hint

Old 03-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Chameleon Company
......Likely so, but still in the wilds of Madagascar!

Overton,
Thanks for generous words. I originally posted him because, in my experience, he represents one of those "beyond any expectation" or perhaps "one-of-a-kind" animals. Our experience with what few truly over-the-top animals that we have worked with is that, while you can occasionally get some screamer offspring, even with multiple locale pure females to pair it with, very few clutches will even approach the brilliance of the unique sire. When we have been successful in the past, we were only able to produce one clutch, out of about 12, where any of the offspring rose to the level of the unique sire, and in that clutch, only 3 of 6 males made it to that level of color quality. Fortunately, it meant that the female siblings in the clutch offer great promise in an F-2 generation. That's what I expect and hope for here, that whatever success we have getting offspring from multiple females paired to him, that we get a few clutches where some of the males show his potential, and that we can generate an expanded number in our F-2's from the sibling females. It may be a fleeting thing. Genetics likely plays a big role, but there may be other factors involved, and getting all the stars to align correctly may be like winning the lottery. If and when we get offspring from him, we will hold them until they begin to color up, and then off to market they will go. Thanks again.

Jim Flaherty
The Cameleon Company, LLC

Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
MrCharlieGreen
Thumbs up

me wanty :eatpointe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!