Savannah monitor drooling? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
LadyGecko
Savannah monitor drooling?

Hi-I was asked a question that I am just not qualified to answer about a Savannah Monitor drooling

I have never kept any type of monitor so I am clueless

Is drooling normal for a Savannah Monitor ?

They did not specify how often or whether it was in response to prey/feeding

Thanks so very much for any replies

Sandy

Old 05-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
LadyGecko
This question was asked of me and quite honestly I have been reading the forums off and on for the past few days and I have yet to come up with an answer to it anywhere

When this guy asked me about this behavior-an image of a Komodo Dragon immediately came to mind-
With it's dripping saliva as it lumbered around

As I have said-I have never kept a monitor of any type but this question is now bugging the hell out of me-LOL

Do monitors drool as a regular behavior or response to feeding/prey or would this be a health issue to be worried about?

Thanks again for any replies to this question

Sandy

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
hhmoore
Well, I'll just say that, having kept many monitor species, I have never witnessed that type of drooling...the closest thing to an exception being a large WC water monitor (I don't recall seeing it LTCs). He would sometimes get some drool going, but never to the extent of dripping...it did result in some discoloration of the mouth area near shedding, though. This was quite some time ago, and I don't recall specifics of WHEN or WHY it occurred.
I'm curious about the degree of drooling, though, as despite working with many rescues and fresh imports, I never saw anything that matches the picture you are painting...even those that came from very bad conditions and needed lots of TLC.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
LadyGecko
Harold
Thanks so much for your reply

I will try and get a hold of this guy and find out more details
He did not specify the amount or duration-just asked if it was normal and of course I didn't have a clue

From what you are telling me this sounds like it could be a serious health concern

Thanks again
Sandy

Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
hhmoore
Like I said, I have never witnessed drooling, or excess salivation in savannahs - whether they were large imports or LTCs - regardless of condition. Now, if you are talking about a bit of thin bubbly secretion at the front of the mouth of a sick animal, or actual mucus; that is a different story, and creates some fairly obvious thoughts. Is whatever he is seeing coming out of the nose, as well? Are the nares patent? Any signs that the animal might not be in good health?
In my experience, monitors are quite hardy captives...and seeing respiratory complications from normal husbandry mistakes is relatively uncommon. Usually a few days of baking them at appropriate temperatures will straighten that out.
Find out as much information as you can, and (clear) pictures would be great.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
lmc8
I have the drooler. I've seen him do it twice where he has it hanging from his mouth, I wipe it away and there seems to be no problem. He eats fine, I occassionally feed him live mice, he had bowel movements, he seems responsive as he normally is otherwise.

It's not a constant thing but enough to wonder what's going on. He is going through a bad shed right now too. It was just within the past week I noticed the drool hanging from his mouth twice.

-Lisa

Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
lmc8
Oh Also, the drool looked like white egg yolk, that's the best way to describe it.

Thanks for any help! I don't want to lose my boy!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
hhmoore
Lisa = this guy? lol
How long have you had him? How big is he?
What are the cage temps? Basking area temp?
By any chance, is this right after drinking a lot of water (they sometimes overfill, then overflow, lol, esp if disturbed)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
lmc8
Yeah, it's easy to confuse the name Lisa with a guy even when the lady I asked originally used my name when she contacted me! LoL

I've had him for almost a year and he is 2 ft now. When I got him he was 6in.
Cage temps are between 70 and 85 and he is in the hottest room in the house too, basking is almost always at 100-110. His cage is 65 gallons too.

Honestly I hadn't noticed if it was after he drank, I came into the room and saw him laying on top of his "hiding rock" and it was just there.

Nostrils and ears are all clear, he seems to breathe normally. I gave him a bath earlier and he floated for a bit and crawled out. The only other "weird" thing is lately all he wants to do is sit on my head or wrap himself in my hair. He sits on my shoulder a lot but he's clingy now with the hair thing.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
Digby Rigby
Bump up the basking temperatures

Bump up the basking temperature to 140 degrees. Warm end about 88 cool end about 65. These are degrees farenheit. Make sure it has substrate it can dig and burrow in and hide spots throughout the cage partially cover the top if its screen. The substrate should be able to retain moisture without getting soggy and hold a burrow. A bigger cage would also be better and a couple logs for climbing. The higher temps will help them if its a respitatory condition.

Digby Rigby
balboa28279@mypacks.net

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!