Tape and Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Tape and Snakes

Well, I thought I had me a good operation going, since it's worked for so long without any problems. I use indented kraft paper as a substrate, and at first just laid it in the cage. Then they figured out they could hide underneath it, but the roughness of the 60 lb paper was causing nose rubs to develop, and I don't like my snakes with scabs on their noses. So I started taping down the edges of the paper.
This has worked really well for me over the yrs I been doing it, although I admit the whole taping down the edges is a big pain in the butt.

Well recently, I obtained a nice little BC Sabogae. Been wanting one for a while now, and finally got one. He's a tiny little guy. About as big as a night crawler and probably doesn't weigh any more then one either. He hazed over after eating a couple mouse crawlers, and was just at the state where he's clearing up. That means 3-4 days before he sloughs his skin.

So I bring up his humidity a little and start keeping a closer eye on him, waiting for the big moment of his first shed in my care. That's to me is always a special moment. I come home Monday after noon from work, and go check on him, and I don't see him in his hide where he's been since he started the ecdysis process. So I look around the cage, and there he is, just laying there stretched out with tight little "S" shapes running the length of his body. I reach in and touch him, he's cold, and didn't move. My heart just sank.

So I go to pick him up, and he had a go at me. Tried pretty hard anyway. Can't hold that against him though. The poor dude worked loose a piece of the tape, and managed to stick his entire belly to it. I'm sure he was quite upset about it. So I patiently unstick him from the tape, and carefully examine him. Seems the tape forced his slough to happen a couple days early, as it was also stuck in pieces to the tape.

You might think, "no biggy", but in reality, it is. To me anyway. Ecdysis is a very delicate process of fluid and chemical exchanges in the body and dermis and it's really important that they complete this process before they lose the old skin. By forcing the old skin off early, you risk permanent scarring and skin fungi problems. You don't want either one, believe me. It's one thing to have a messed up snake, quite another to know it's your fault.

So, we got him cleaned up, soaked real well, and examined again. Unfortunately, he may have some scarring from the ordeal, which saddens me to no end. I am hoping after a couple more sheds, it will clear up the splotches and rough scales left behind by this ordeal. Can't do much more then that except keep him in hospital like conditions till his next shed to prevent any fungal problems.

MORAL of the story:

Learn from my mistake. Many people have voiced a liking to the method I use for the substrate. That's fine, but you will no longer find any tape in my cages. Tape and snakes is an evil combination. PLEASE KEEP TAPE OUT OF THE ENCLOSURES.

It just absolutely kills me to think of what this poor little guy went through.

I hope someone learns from this, is the only reason I am sharing this embarrassment. Take heed, please.
Rick

Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
I've considered using tape before in that manner, but never have, and after reading your account Rick, I never will. Thanks for sharing, and my best wishes for your little Sabogae's quick recovery. I'm sure he'll be fine, knowing how well you take care of your critters (heck, that's why I got Callisto from you )

Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
hhmoore
I had a snake get caught in one of those sticky traps once...I don't remember if he was in shed when it happened though. It took probably 3 cycles before he looked 100%, but he did get there. I'll keep my fingers crossed that in a few months time you can't even tell which scales were damaged.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
tinmantribe5
Right on Richard I used a old small cardboard box for a hide and my female got the shipping clear tape stuck to her some how man it was a pain.I will admit I think I was in more shock than the snake but she is all better now and lesson learned.
the Tinman

Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks guys. I too hope for the best. I rather enjoy having fairly flawless critters.

We'll see in time how it goes.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
oh crap rick what a crappy thing to have happen!!!! tape is evil, after saving a milksnake from one of those sticky traps a couple summers ago i know to never mix snakes and sticky adhesives. they just can never mix as the snakes just always find a way to get stuck!!! poor lil fella... youll take good care of him though and as harald said im sure you wont even notice it after a few sheds!! good luck rick, im so sorry....

Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
liquidleaf
I had a similar thing happen - somehow a bit of electrical tape used to hold down wires (on the outside of a cage) fell into my open bag of clean substrate (carefresh) that I was using for some Kenyan sand boas. I didn't notice when I scooped fresh substrate into their tubs after one cleaning - and the female got her head stuck to the piece. It was stuck over one EYE, and their eyes are so tiny! I was a wreck until we got it off after careful soaking... and even then, the adhesive looked horrible and her skin didn't look right for 3 or 4 more sheds. HORRIBLE experience!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Well, it's been almost a year now. Although a few sheds did do a lot for him, I'm afraid there is just a little bit of scarring.

But it's not that bad at all. See if you can spot it. LOL
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
liquidleaf
Nope, I can't see scarring in that pic!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
deborahbroadus
Seems like there is a place where a scale is missing..right up over the "I" in the word "Sublime?"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!