Eggs... sprung a leak? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Eggs... sprung a leak?

No I am not retarded, the babies did not cut the eggs.. I don't think anyway.. But something has happened that has never happened before.. and I'm perplexed..
18 days until the projected hatch date, 13 days until I usually cut on day 55.. I got to air out the eggs like I've been doing every day for the past 3 days as hatch day draws near, I stick my finger in the substrate to test the wetness and notice a "clump" of substrate stuck to one side of an egg.. that's when I notice.. It's... leaking? Not a lot, just a spec. I've heard of people patching "popped" eggs before, so I try my hand at it.. no go. it just splurts out a blob. The hole was no bigger than a pin head!
So I make the decision to cut the egg, in the theory that if I make an incision in the top and turn the egg into "a bowl" for the liquid, instead of a water balloon, baby might have a better chance. Baby looks fine, is moving, lots of yolk! the leakage problem is under control and then I notice.. another one did it!!
THEY AREN'T EVEN DIMPLING YET!! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING IN THERE, DANCING WITH SWORDS?!?!
So I cut that one too.
Both babies seem fine for now.
It just was a very strange experience.
I guess it could have been a baby incision.. just seems a little early to me since they hadn't even dimpled yet.
Ever happened to any of you before?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
tinmantribe5
They must of had some "Spicy" Moisture added and just had a lil Snake burn! Hehe

Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Melinda
Quote:
WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING IN THERE, DANCING WITH SWORDS?!?!
Ok, that's funny as heck! Hope the little ones make it.

I've successfully used liquid bandage to seal up a leaker. Put some on let it dry, put some more on, repeat until it stops leaking.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart and Soul Reptiles View Post
WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING IN THERE, DANCING WITH SWORDS?!?!
Now THAT's funny! On a serious note though, I know that Rhacodactylus eggs tend to leak on occasion and breeders use a piece of paper towel to put over the hole, and it usually closes it up no problem. I've also heard of liquid bandage being used with success. Of course they are different types of eggs but I figured I'd chime in. Keep us posted.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
R. Eventide
I also read somewhere of someone using a regular ol' band-aid to patch a leaky egg. I've never tried it, though.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Yeah. I tried to bandage method.. to gooey, didn't do a thing.
they seem fine! They just have a view a little early

Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Utta
I hope there ok D: *dances with swords*

Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
omgitskacie12
can you tell what they are going to look like yet?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitskacie12 View Post
can you tell what they are going to look like yet?
Might be a new tartan morph if they are sword dancing.....

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Heart and Soul Reptiles
lol, you guys are silly. We'll of course after cutting 2 of the eggs and realizing they were okay.. I couldn't resist cutting the other 2!!
I couldn't really tell until today. I thought my spider male had knocked up this female for sure, but I have 3 cinnys and 1 normal it looks like
I'll post pictures when they are out of the egg!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!