Dwarf Morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Monte
Lightbulb Dwarf Morph

There has been a discussion going on on the KS Leo forum on dwarf or "runty" leos. I didn't really want to jump into the discussion there because it usually ends up "DON'T DO THIS" kind of thing. So I'll bring it here - has anyone intentionally worked producing with with dwarf leos?

From the pix I've seen of them - they look short and fat - a mini-fat version of an adult leo. I personally have a beautiful leo that's much shorter than others - and about 36 grams after 14 months. But she's not skinny at all - very healthy looking.

Ethically, would it be wrong to pursue working toward a smaller leo? I understand that physiologically - you may encounter problems - but with the "dwarf" leos I've seen, there seems to be enough abdominal space to carry eggs. I've never witnessed the eggs of a smaller leo - are they smaller in size - commensurate to the size of the female?

Anyway - I thought I'd throw this out for discussion. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
dayer
Monte,
a couple of things come to mind. first off, i am no expect on geckos but i know there are several ssup of leopards and some are smaller than what we see. could it be somewhere down the line these smaller leopards were breed into these lines? if so i would think breeding would be very possible. however since we don't know this lets say we find a small male to breed to our small females.... just because it is small doesnt mean it cant throw large offspring? just like you said its a delema... i wish some of the others would be so kind as to chime in. very good topic monte...
-

Old 03-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
diablohogs
Exclamation whoa!

i thought i was the only one...

i have a patternless male that is short and fat with a big head and a calm demeanor. i didnt produce him and actually i was planning on getting out of patternless all together but he seems to have stopped growing. unfortunately his extremely calm demeanor won over the hearts of my girlfriends family and i sold him to them. hes still at my house tho... maybe ill snap a few comparison pics, like him next to one of my full grown leopard geckos, before they take him. if i do ill post them on this thread.

if it proves genetic i wonder what would happen if you had a dwarf/giant double mutation....

Old 03-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
lostkauze
Yeah, I have a small tang. Shes 2 years +, and is very round and plump. Can't figure out why shes so short.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!