About how much would 500 adult female dubia weight? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Froggy
Angry About how much would 500 adult female dubia weight?

I ask this because i think i just got scammed.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you

Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Fangthane
That's not an entirely easy question to answer. If weighed as soon as they're taken out of the shipping box, their weight can differ noticeably from what it was right before they were shipped. Defecation and dehydration come into play. Without naming any names, can you outline the terms of the deal and exactly what went down?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Snake-Queen
You'd have to take a sampling of what you got & weigh them.

For example, take 5 lots of 10 roaches each, weigh them; add those weights, divide by 50, that will give you an average weight of 1 roach ... multiply by 500.
that would give you an arrival weight.
Feed & hydrate for 2 days then repeat the process.

Or you could always count them.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Froggy
ok, so the deal was 500+ females 60+ males and 1000's of small extra nymphs.
I have bought this many dubias before. When i received the package i right away knew there was a problem, because of how light the package weighted.
So i opened and right away started hand counting them,lo and behold 177 females. At this point i didnt even bother counting the males, as for nymphs there were probably about 5 small tiny one that i could see.I dont even care about the males or nymphs, just the female.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Fangthane
If they were specifically sold to you by count; not by weight, the weight isn't particularly relevant. If the deal was for a definite count of at least 500 females, and you only received 177, you got screwed. The same goes for the nymphs. I'd contact the seller and let them know about ALL shortages. Even if your main concern is the females, don't let yourself accept a loss on the others. I'm guessing that you didn't think to record an unboxing/counting video?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Froggy
The seller has been contacted, they were sold by count, the reason im asking about the weight is because on the package label is says 12lb. and that makes no sense because i don't think 177 females would even weight that much right? That's what makes this confusing to me. Sadly i didn't take a video of the unboxing.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
South Texas Dragons
Dubia weights

A while ago I counted & weighed 1000 of each size (age) of dubias. I didnt bother with the adult females because they vary a lot in size depending on their age & their weight varies if they are gravid. I also didnt count the adult males, because who cares. I did however count the nymphs (0-1 month < 1/4") to the sub adults (4-5 months 1 1/4"+). I weighed them 3 days, 1 week apart and averaged them. Here's what i came up with. Roaches will vary in weight because of hydration, diet, etc, but it should be close to these.

Extra Small Dubia Nymphs (0-1 month) Less Than 1/4" 50 grams/1000

Small Dubias (1-2 months) 1/4"-1/2" 175 grams/1000

Medium Dubias (2-3 months) 1/2"-1" 325 grams/1000

Large Dubias (3-4 months) 1"-1 1/4" 1000 grams/1000

Sub-Adult Dubias (4-5 months) 1 1/4"+ 1400 grams/1000

Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
South Texas Dragons
Froggy, I didnt think of this yesterday, and probably most of the people on the forum already know the answer, but the weight on the label dosent have anything to do with the actual weight of the package if any dimension of the box is more than 12". Most shippers including USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc consider any package with any dimension over 12" to be oversized. Because of this they calculate the shipping cost using the "dimensional" weight, which is what is on the label. The dimensional weight is the actual weight of the package multiplied by some factor which accounts for the size of the package. Each company probably has a slightly different formula to calculate the dimensional weight. if you go the the shippers website you can figure out the actual weight of the shipped package. Go to their website, and find "calculate shipping cost" or something similar. Measure the box, and calculate or guess the actual weight of the roaches & packing material. It will give you the dimensional weight as part of the cost calculations. You can adjust your estimate of the actual weight until the dimensional weight is equal to 12 lbs (from the label). subtract the weight of the box & packing material from the actual shipped weight and you will be left with the weight of the roaches. Joe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!