West Virginia state law issues - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #41
Herps Alive!
There are a number of insurers besides Lloyds of London. The Lester Kalmanson Agency is one. If you have a good relationship with your insurance agent and if the WV law is worded similarly to Ohio's, there are a few other options available to you, as well. Having testified many times on the Ohio debacle, this law appears to provide some wiggle room. Continue to talk to legsilators and rulemakers to at least minimize the impact of the law.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #42
4riscorn
I know this is an old post. I just moved from VA to WV last spring. What are the laws in WV for keeping breeding and selling corn snakes? I know when I lived in VA I just needed a permit to keep and a permit to breed and sell. When I tried to get a permit to sell in WV it was almost impossible as a VA resident. They wanted me to have all of my corns (at the time well over 200) vet checked and each with a vet certification of health. Have a list of each one their morph age and size that I would be bringing over the state line. They also told me that any time I went over the state line I needed to do that. Even if I was just passing through the state from say a show in MD. That was impossible and I can bet no one who goes to shows in one state but drives through wv does that. I got out of the business when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2016. But just got a few snakes and thought if I intend on breeding again I'd better check the laws. The only thing I found on the internet was a bill from 2015. But couldn't find out any more

Old 03-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #43
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riscorn View Post
I know this is an old post. I just moved from VA to WV last spring. What are the laws in WV for keeping breeding and selling corn snakes? I know when I lived in VA I just needed a permit to keep and a permit to breed and sell. When I tried to get a permit to sell in WV it was almost impossible as a VA resident. They wanted me to have all of my corns (at the time well over 200) vet checked and each with a vet certification of health. Have a list of each one their morph age and size that I would be bringing over the state line. They also told me that any time I went over the state line I needed to do that. Even if I was just passing through the state from say a show in MD. That was impossible and I can bet no one who goes to shows in one state but drives through wv does that. I got out of the business when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2016. But just got a few snakes and thought if I intend on breeding again I'd better check the laws. The only thing I found on the internet was a bill from 2015. But couldn't find out any more
Welcome neighbor!

You would need the $2 permit to keep native species, since corns are native though rare in WV. You wouldn't have anything that falls under the DWA.

Both VA and WV state that animals sold commercially should have a vet check/certificate before being imported into the state, but I can tell you based on the list of vendors for the expos in both northern VA and the eastern WV panhandle that the requirement is universally ignored.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #44
4riscorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Welcome neighbor!

You would need the $2 permit to keep native species, since corns are native though rare in WV. You wouldn't have anything that falls under the DWA.

Both VA and WV state that animals sold commercially should have a vet check/certificate before being imported into the state, but I can tell you based on the list of vendors for the expos in both northern VA and the eastern WV panhandle that the requirement is universally ignored.
So cool to see someone else down here with a love for reptiles! How do I go about getting the permit? Thank you for the info!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #45
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riscorn View Post
So cool to see someone else down here with a love for reptiles! How do I go about getting the permit? Thank you for the info!
That I wouldn't know, I don't have natives. Try calling DNR.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #46
4riscorn
Ok thanks

Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #47
onebigmoth
@bcr229 We need a permit for Corns? Oops. I'll get on that... I thought I was up to date on our state's laws but apparently I missed that one somehow.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #48
bcr229
USARK Action Alert: WV Reptile Ban

If you send your comments via email, CC your senators and delegate as well!

https://usark.org/2019-blog/action-a...a-reptile-ban/

Action Alert: West Virginia Reptile Ban

By USARK on July 9, 2019

Comment deadline is July 22 at Noon!

The West Virginia Dangerous Wild Animal (DWA) Board has released its plan to ban many species of reptiles. We are early in the process but opposition needs to begin now.

The below species will be listed as DWA's in West Virginia. That means no future ownership, registration of current animals, compliance with ZAA caging standards (which are designed for public exhibition) and expensive liability insurance coverage for any grandfathered animals. Essentially, this should be considered a ban on all of these species:

1. constrictor snakes greater than six feet;
2. ALL venomous snakes;
3. ALL crocodilians;
4. monitor lizards greater than four feet;
5. venomous lizards.

What a DWA listing means:
1.registration of current animals;
2.$150 annual permit fee PER ANIMAL, as well as $10 annual application fee;
3.compliance with Zoological Association of America caging standards (which are designed for public exhibition, not private ownership);
4.maintain a $300,000 liability insurance policy (additional annual cost);
5.ban on future ownership;
6.only animals owned before the effective date can be kept (no additional animals in the future);
7.complete the application found at http://www.agriculture.wv.gov/forms/...%20Maxwell.pdf.
8.no breeding of listed species;
9.microchip or apply "legible tattoo" to all registered animals;
10.no public contact (meaning no educational outreach programs);
11.etc.

This proposal is utterly arbitrary. There is absolutely no science to support these amendments.

If you missed it, owning two boa constrictors for 10 years would cost you over $3,000 for state fees. If you own five reptiles on the list, that is over $7,500 for state fee costs. Additionally, you must maintain an expensive liability insurance policy specifically for keeping these animals (not a homeowner's policy). The caging standards are also inconceivable for private keepers and were written for zoological institutions which display these animals publicly.

Legislators decided not to ban these species when the DWA law passed in 2014. All of these species were originally considered but USARK worked to educate legislators, as well as inform them of due process violations. We also wrote and had the amendment introduced on the floor during the last hours of the legislative session which removed crocodilians and venomous snakes. Richard Stanley spearheaded the WV efforts and USARK was successful in protecting responsible herpetoculturists, including stopping a ban on all animals non-native to West Virginia. Now we must fight again.

Unfortunately, this new proposal is likely spurred by some irresponsible reptile shows taking advantage of the work USARK did in 2014 and 2015. This is unfortunate. USARK works to protect those who are responsible and it is beyond frustrating when those who were not even involved in the fight selfishly erase all of that hard work and effort. USARK cannot state loudly enough that we work to protect responsible herpetoculturists and do not condone the actions of those acting otherwise.

You can read the proposal at http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uplo...hange-2019.pdf.

What to do:

Remember to be professional and civil at all times.

Contact the WV DWA Board immediately! The deadline to comment is 12:00 (noon) July 22.

Mail letters to:

West Virginia Department of Agriculture
c/o Madison Birchfield
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305

Send emails to: rulescomments@wvda.us

Talking Points
1.West Virginia legislators voted against listing these species in 2015.
2.The research and rationale against listing these species were already presented and agreed upon in 2015.
3.The lengths for constrictor snakes and monitor lizards are arbitrary and capricious, lacking any logic or scientific support.
4.Legislators already decided that a ban on these was a bad idea, and that still holds true.
5.Contrary to any claims of a "grandfather clause," this is a ban and not common-sense regulation.
6.The permit fees associated with this ban are absurd and atrocious.
7.The reptile species to be added cannot be considered threats when responsibly maintained and housed.
8.A ban on these species is unjust and overreaching.
9.Collective punishment is an unconstitutional form of government.
10.Laws should punish irresponsible people and criminals, not responsible citizens.

Sample Letter
(please personalize and edit)

Dear West Virginia Dangerous Wild Animal Board,

As a responsible reptile keeper and West Virginia resident, I oppose the addition of several reptile species to the State's Dangerous Wild Animal list. This proposal is not scientifically sound and is not supported by any legitimate statistics. Additionally, it is utterly arbitrary and capricious. This is either a personal attack upon reptile keepers or an overreaching measure to penalize irresponsible keepers by punishing everyone who keeps these reptiles, including responsible citizens.

Reptiles are kept in 5% of U.S. households as found by several national studies, so this proposal will affect many West Virginians. Prohibition of these reptiles was struck down by state legislators previously. They made the educated decision then and now this unjust proposal has resurfaced. I expect you to present legitimate science and sound logic to support this measure. My tax dollars are paying for this nonsense and I will do all I can to stop it.

Please accept that this is an illogical action and stop this proposal now. Do not add any reptile species to the state Dangerous Wild Animal list. Please research the history of this law and you will clearly see the species list does not need to be amended. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME]
[consider adding city and state if WV residents]

Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 AM   #49
bcr229
The deadline for submitting comments is noon tomorrow, less than 12 hours away. Please send them if you haven't already!

Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #50
bcr229
From the latest USARK update at https://mailchi.mp/usark/sac-ny-wv-2019 :

UPDATE: West Virginia

Thanks to an outpouring of opposition and education, the WV DWA Board has withdrawn the proposed amendments to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act from consideration. Thank you to all of those who supported our efforts to stop these additions to the State's Dangerous Wild Animal list.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!