Frozen mice and parasites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Jacey
Question Frozen mice and parasites

My snake recently got a intestinal parasite and I feed her frozen mice. I get mine in bulks and I was wondering if I should throw away all the mice or not. Also should I not get them in bulks and maybe they just went bad?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Pasodama
First, unless you can do so yourself, you need to have a vet run a fecal check to see if your snake does, indeed, have a parasite. The symptoms, in your other post, could be due to parasite/s or it could be due to something else.

As far as your frozen mice go, freezing kills most parasites/pathogens. Does not kill all but does most.
Unless you have good reason to think that your batch of frozen mice is carrying something, and if they do not smell of rot (when thawed), I wouldn't throw them out.

Buying in bulk is fine. I do as do many others. They can last from a few months on up to one year + (depending on how they are stored, how often they receive oxygen from pulling some rodents out to thaw, etc.).

Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
snakesareawesome
I also think the two events are unrelated. WC animals as a rule will have parasites, often multiple kinds and CB will sometimes have them but most CB do test negative for me thus far. I have never seen an animal come into my collection test clean 2-3 times then go on to test positive when fed f/t rodents which makes me think such a thing would be extraordinarily rare.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!