Sunbeam Snake Care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
buddy1
Sunbeam Snake Care

I have the opportunity to pick up a sunbeam snake. He/she is about 3.5'. Everything I've researched about them says how difficult they are. I've read most are imported as there are few breeders and odds are they won't live long. I don't know much about this one as it was brought into the pet store my daughter works at. I handled it and all outward signs point to it being healthy, very chill and an overall nice snake. Was kinda thinking that since it has reached almost adult size I may be in the clear as its established already. Anyone have experience with them? I have , boas, balls and corns but nothing like this.

Thanks for any input,
Kristina

Old 12-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
elena
I have worked with them before. From what I learned from my supplier, humidity is extremely important. They also need humidity holding substrate such as bark or mulch in which they can freely burrow, and will spend most of their time under the substrate. Basically, they're a really cool looking species that you will almost never see, and should also almost never handle, as despite their docile nature, they are very susceptible to stress and should be left alone as much as possible. This trait made them impractical for a retail store and this is why I stopped carrying them.

Some quick stats: 80+% humidity. very important.
I kept them on a 75-85 degree heat gradient. They are capable of tolerating it a few degrees hotter.
substrate at least 6 inches deep.

Don't get musked. Worst musk of any snake I have ever encountered. I could smell it on the sales floor and it happened in the basement.

Definitely what I would consider an advanced species. I will say that they ate pretty well though.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
buddy1
Thanks so much for the info. I was afraid of being musked while handling but I wanted to get a good look at it. Still on the fence about purchasing except I feel bad that such a stress sensitive critter is in a high volume pet store. I'll probably get it cause I'm such a softie. Down fall of having a daughter that works in a pet store

Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
elena
I forgot to mention, if you choose to get a mate for it, do not house them together as they are generalists, and like kingsnakes, will eat each other. We housed each of the three that we had separately.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
LLLReptile Chris MacHale
Just to add to elenas comment for humidity, if you don't have it dialed in like she said they will develope sores on the skin that will scar permanently. Definitely super important. Also I wanna reiterate ONT HANDLE THEM: I've seen perfectly healthy snakes go south from very light amounts of stress.
Also give them like 8 inches of substrate
And throw them a couple appropriately sized mice (should never get bigger than a hopper)for feeding, like 2-3 depending on your opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!