is it possible to create a Nile x crocodile monitor Hybrid ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #1
Retroreptiles1
is it possible to create a Nile x crocodile monitor Hybrid ?

i was woundering if anybody in here has ever tried breeding a Nile monitor with a crocodile monitor an how do you think the hybrids would come out would they be aggressive in your opinion if someone wants to try this id be intrested in hearing what the size an result would be

Old 07-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Retroreptiles1
must be alot of stupid people on here who obviously have no clue on how to even anwser My Question typical brainless reptile people i guess

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
hhmoore
Mr Williams,
Posting abusive comments won't serve you well here.
Sorry you didn't get a response within the 6 hrs you waited...perhaps those that viewed your threads didn't feel the subject merited discussion.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
snowgyre
Yep, question doesn't warrant a response, especially with that attitude. This isn't Facebook; we expect a bit more professionalism and maturity on this forum.

Considering you posted in the dead of night, did you honestly expect a response in a few hours?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroreptiles1 View Post
must be alot of stupid people on here who obviously have no clue on how to even anwser My Question typical brainless reptile people i guess

Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Retroreptiles1
i dont know sorry i was just growing impatient some reptiles are smart an there are smart people who breed them an keep them however i don't understand why on earth someone" would not try breeding a wild caught Nile Monitor with a wild caught crocodile monitor an show us the hybrids

Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
snowgyre
Maybe because there really is no need, other than curiosity? Both species get to be quite large and have a decently limited captive population. Why muddy the genetic waters through hybridization? To quote Malcolm in the original Jurassic Park, "we were so busy thinking we could do something that we didn't stop to think if we should."

Old 07-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Retroreptiles1
[quote=snowgyre;1831326]Maybe because there really is no need, other than curiosity? Both species get to be quite large and have a decently limited captive population. Why muddy the genetic waters through hybridization? To quote Malcolm in the original Jurassic Park, "we were so busy thinking we could do

Hello yes your probably right but it would be an amazing animal the aggression of a nile monitor combined with the size of a croc an those serrated Teeth the adult length would probably top out somewhere around 10FT the hatchlings" would be cheaper then buying a varanus salvadorii hatchling for 1000,00 t0 1500,00 the prices are just ridiculous on those i am honestly surprised this has not been done givin the high prices are on Crocodile monitors in general

Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
Retroreptiles1
i was going to consider a crocodile monitor but not for 800.00 dollers to 1,000.00 dollers no thank you

Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
hhmoore
Your thoughts are a bit flawed - 1) crocodile monitors also tend to be aggressive... and large aggressive animals with long sharp teeth don't always make good pets; and 2) the hybrids would be even more rare; so the prices would be higher (at least if there was even a small amt of interest in them).

I'm not a big proponent of making hybrids - occasionally, though, they ARE visually appealing. In this case, I'm not sure that the cross would be desirable; and, appreciating monitors as I do, I'd rather see bring efforts kept pure

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!