Custom vivarium doors- looking for suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Herpin Man
Custom vivarium doors- looking for suggestions

I'm planning on building a large vivarium for amphibians. The base, which is already built, is constructed of wood, with a pond liner. I am now building the upper sides, which will be glass with (wood or metal) framing.
I am having trouble figuring out what to do for doors. I prefer sliding doors, made of tempered glass. Think shower doors, only smaller. I can have these custom made simply enough; however there would be gaps between the doors, through which tiny frogs and insects could escape. And, if I use rollers under the doors, there would be potentially creating more gaps.
Any suggestions?
I'm also looking for ideas to decorate and/or plant the back wall.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
SWDK
What about using a hinged method like they do for frameless shower doors that swing open? They have a clear frame seal to prevent water from leaking around gaps and between the doors.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Herpin Man
I may have to look into that as well.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
JButera
How about vinyl sliding basement windows, they're sealed up pretty tight. You can even lock them if you install them backward.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
ViridesReptile
You may have already completed this, but should anyone else have a similar problem, you can apply a strip of adhesive backed foam. Here in Australia you can get black EVA foam with adhesive on the back as a strip. You can use this to place along the edge of the glass which is behind the panel in front.

We source ours from a foams shop, but I am sure there would be somewhere similar in the US and elsewhere.

This can act as a seal between the panels, stopping anything from escaping.

The only thing to note is that the black will be visible, however you can hide this by placing it as close as you can to the edge of the glass panel you are adhering to. This way the strip can be seen as being one with the edge of the glass, thus hiding it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!