Hatchling Jackson Chameleon Questions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
BigTattoo
Baby Jackson's

I use to raise Jackson's and the baby are delicate and stress very easily. Too large a cage can stress them. I made 1' square by 18" tall individual cages for mine I came by this size through trial and error and it seemed most effective until they are well started. Pothos vine wrapped around branches or dowel rod structures to provide lots of hiding spots. In addition to misting several times a day I made a simple gravity feed drip system. I would do the first misting before lights came on and would mist very heavily. Once lights are on mist enough to have water dripping off leaves and go away.

A clean 1 gallon jug with a hole drilled near the bottom to accept 1/8" airline tubing. Silicone the outside where the tubing goes into the jug. Run the tubing across the tops of the cages and drill a small hole or two so the water will slowly drip into the cage. They quickly learn to drink from this. I put the cages on top of a sweater tub that had hardware cloth to act as a catch basin for the dripping water. I would screw pieces of 1x2 flush with the top of the sweater tub to help support the weight of the cages resting on the hardware cloth.

3 times a day I would put tubes of fruit flies in each cage for 20-30 minutes then remove, recap and put in the fridge. Remove tubes from fridge about 30 minutes before putting them in their cages so the fruit flies become active. Put the tubes in quietly in the same location each time. They will quickly learn to come down to the tubes to eat the fruit flies. You can sprinkle supplements like Minerall into the tubes before placing in cages. Sprinkle lightly once a day. Once you put the fruit flies in the cages go away they will not come down to eat with you watching. The problem with crickets is if they don't eat all of them the remaining will climb on and chew on your babies causing them unbelieveable stress. After they reach about 1 month old you can put small crix in the empty tubes you had fruit flies in then place these in the cage. Since they learned these tubes are a source of food they will come down and pick off the crix as they climb out of the tubes.

It's important they be in a low traffic area, preferably above eye level to reduce stress levels. A visual barrier between cages, I used small panels of 1/4" plywood. If they can see each other even in separate cages it can stress them to death. Try to do housekeeping before or after lights go on or off. Best done when the cages are pretty dark to minimize stress.

If you can get them past the 3 month mark they most likely will survive. Getting them to 3 months is not easy. Feed, low heat, strong UVB for 12 hours/day or more and leave them alone as much as possible. If you get past the 3 months they can then go into larger cages but still not too large. I moved them up to 18" square by 2' tall cages until they were 6 months old.

Hope this helps and best of luck with them.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Iguanagirl8662
Thanks for all the help everyone. They both were doing very well till a couple of weeks ago the cat got up where they were and knocked the one cage down and he either ate the baby or it escaped. I am heart broken it was my favorite one. I think we had a male and female and the male was getting nice horns but now he is gone, poor little guy.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
angie.h
Oh, that's a real shame !! I'm really sorry to hear about that. Poor little guy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!