Help! Infected eye? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
bsash
Help! Infected eye?

My male Jackson's chameleon's eye is very swollen. I am going to be taking him to a vet, but they specialize in mostly snakes, iguanas, and monitors, not chameleons. I am just looking for some advice in how to treat/ make it more comfortable to live with until then. Please, any advice would be very helpful right now.

As you can see, it is twice the size of the other eye. It has only been like this for two days, I have been trying to find out what it is with out such luck.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
LauraB
It could be anything from MBD to stuck shed or injury or vitamin A deficiency or even parasites (if it's a newly acquired WC animal)

Just glancing at the bottom pic, it looks like his limbs are possibly swollen and "lumpy". That could definitely be MBD.

What lights do you use? What supplements do you use? What are highest and coolest temps in his enclosure? What are your humidity levels and how often do you mist?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
bsash
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
It could be anything from MBD to stuck shed or injury or vitamin A deficiency or even parasites (if it's a newly acquired WC animal)

Just glancing at the bottom pic, it looks like his limbs are possibly swollen and "lumpy". That could definitely be MBD.

What lights do you use? What supplements do you use? What are highest and coolest temps in his enclosure? What are your humidity levels and how often do you mist?
His limbs are not swollen and lumpy, he does have a bit of stuck shed though, I haven't noticed any on his eye though. He is also captive bred, I bought him from FLChams. As for the lights, I use two of the Zoo Med 5.0 compact fluorescent bulbs, they are in my "hood" on the top of the cage. Those two bulbs keep the top of my cage at about 85-90 degrees and the coolest at the bottom of the cage is 70-75 degrees. My humidity is from a fogger in the water fall I have, which maintains the cage humidity at about 80-85%, but I do mist once or twice a day. The supplement that I use is a dust that gets sprinkled on the crickets called "Rep-Cal with vitamin D", which I do once or twice a week, and I feed him 3-4 times a week.

Thank you, I appreciate you trying to help!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
LauraB
Nice of you to say, but I obviously didn't help much!

Here's a care sheet below that might be helpful - you might also want to research the compact UVB lights. I've never used them, due to alleged over exposure causing photo-kerato-conjunctivitis - it's been reported that swelling and closed eyes can be symptoms - but I do use Zoo Med 5.0 linear fluorescents on my cham cages. What size is your enclosure?

http://chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
bsash
My enclosure is an exo-terra 18x18x24 enclosure. Thanks for the care sheet!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
geck123
i had a veiled chameleon who got a swollen eye from a hornworm that bit him while eating it.the vet punctured and drained the eye,and told me to roll a q-tip around the effected eye for 3 days to make sure the eye was completely drained.the chameleon was nearly 7 years old,and the age as well as the constant stress,i think is what killed him.he died less than a week later.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
bsash
Quote:
Originally Posted by geck123 View Post
i had a veiled chameleon who got a swollen eye from a hornworm that bit him while eating it.the vet punctured and drained the eye,and told me to roll a q-tip around the effected eye for 3 days to make sure the eye was completely drained.the chameleon was nearly 7 years old,and the age as well as the constant stress,i think is what killed him.he died less than a week later.
My chameleon is only 9-12 months old... I also only feed crickets, I was told not to feed anything else. However, know crickets can bite, I'll try cleaning it. I gave him a warm shower and he can open his eye not, but it is still swollen.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
LauraB
Always a good idea to only feed the amount of crix a cham (or anything else) can eat at one sitting. Crix definitely will nibble on sleeping chams. If you have crickets free-ranging when your cham is sleeping, then drop some fresh greens into the bottom of the cage so they will eat that, not your cham

I might also remove one of the compact UVB lights. With that size cage, one linear 5.0 is sufficient.

Glad to hear he can open his eye!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
bsash
I do only feed the amount he eats, never any left over. He eats 2 dozen every other day or every two days, so 3-4 times a week. Twice a week they are dusted. Also, the only reason I have two of the compact UVB lights is to keep the heat up at the top of the cage. Is it bad to have too much UVB? The lights are on a timer, they run for nine hours a day, from nine a.m. to six p.m., if so could I replace the other with a regular house bulb? I have not been able to find a heat bulb that does not put out too much heat.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
LauraB
Just use a low wattage house bulb for heat. I've been using those for years - way cheaper in the long run and just as effective. Jackson's don't need the higher temps that Veileds or Panthers need (you probably already know that).

I can't substantiate the allegations that compact UVB lights will cause photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, but I've read enough data that I don't want to use them. I use one 5.0% linear bulb on each of my smaller cages, 2 on my larger (larger than 18 x 18 x 24) cages, replacing them every 8-9 months.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!