Hatchling Jackson Chameleon Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Iguanagirl8662
Hatchling Jackson Chameleon Questions

A lady bought a Jackson Chameleon from my work and it ended up laying eggs and now she brought back two babies which I am going to adopt. From what I've read they need a 5.0 UV light and a basking spot of 85 F but someone told me today that babies need less UV light and heat. They said they only need UV light once a week and heat for 10 minutes after eating. I don't really believe that but I wanted to check. Also should I feed them fruit flies or can they eat small crickets as hatchlings?

If you have anything else to add or any good sites on care that would be great. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
porkchop48
Jacksons dont lay eggs?

As hatchlings I do believe they eat fruit flies or pinheads.

Have you checked out www.chameleonforum.com.

Lots of good information over there as well. Sorry I was not much help.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
angie.h
Jackson's are live-bearers so ask her if she's sure that was the type of chameleon she means. It could have " dropped" [ that's what they do to break open the membrane sack ] the babies when she wasn't home , so she thinks eggs were hidden somewhere and hatched. Temps. should not exceed 80, and this just at the basking spot, and feed them pinhead crickets and fruitflies, like Christy said. They DO need UVB....and a note about the crickets, if you do buy some, many stores sell 1/4 inch crickets as " pinheads", they are not true pinheads but are WAY too large. Be sure to get TRUE pinheads which are tiny, as the name suggests, like the end tip of a lead pencil. I'm sure you will find more info on the site that Porkchop recommended. Set them up with fake plants all around for them to climb and feel safe.You will need to spray the cage at least twice a day, too, they will not drink standing water.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
rjarosek
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Jackson's are live-bearers so ask her if she's sure that was the type of chameleon she means. It could have " dropped" [ that's what they do to break open the membrane sack ] the babies when she wasn't home , so she thinks eggs were hidden somewhere and hatched. Temps. should not exceed 80, and this just at the basking spot, and feed them pinhead crickets and fruitflies, like Christy said. They DO need UVB....and a note about the crickets, if you do buy some, many stores sell 1/4 inch crickets as " pinheads", they are not true pinheads but are WAY too large. Be sure to get TRUE pinheads which are tiny, as the name suggests, like the end tip of a lead pencil. I'm sure you will find more info on the site that Porkchop recommended. Set them up with fake plants all around for them to climb and feel safe.You will need to spray the cage at least twice a day, too, they will not drink standing water.
I agree except 1/8 in crickets would be better. Pinheads are a waste and are too small. They will eat them and are not bad but you would be better off with 1wk aka 1/8 in crickets.

Try to get a night drop into the 50's . There is a high mortality rate with Jacksons and in my experience a night drop was crucial to their survival along with lots of water and not that much food. Overfeeding plays a lot into montains deaths. I would feed twice a day as much as they will eat for 15 min then remove the feeders. I would also recomend skipping feeding 2 days a week.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
angie.h
True about the size...just be careful if you buy a large quantity, they will grow quickly, and it's better for them to be a bit too small than to be too large. Every company seems to have different sizes too, I can order 1/4 inchers from one company that are way bigger than another company's " 1/4 ". But you are right that the slightly larger size is ideal.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
rjarosek
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
True about the size...just be careful if you buy a large quantity, they will grow quickly, and it's better for them to be a bit too small than to be too large. Every company seems to have different sizes too, I can order 1/4 inchers from one company that are way bigger than another company's " 1/4 ". But you are right that the slightly larger size is ideal.
Very good point I tend to forget because I go through crickets so fast.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Iguanagirl8662
Thanks for the info everyone. The mother is a Jackson and I did not see the eggs I just assumed they laid eggs. The stores around here are all out of fruit flies and most of their "small crickets" are to big so I will have to try and order them.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
LauraB
Jackson's are a montane species, so care will have to be taken to keep temps lower than tropical chams would require - especially with hatchlings. They will overheat and dehydrate very quickly. Personally, I would keep the basking temp no higher than 78 degrees, using a regular low-wattage household bulb.

They need UVB AND heat at least 10-12 hours a day, and total darkness at night, with a temp drop if possible (as has been mentioned). Whoever gave you the info re: UVB once a week and heat 10 mins. after eating obviously knows absolutely nothing about chams, unfortunately. Certainly hope they are not giving that info to prospective cham buyers/customers!

A 5.0% UVB linear tube lamp is the best. Stay away from compact or MV bulbs. You will also have to provide a lot of water, both for humidity and for drinking. Generally, chams have to see moving water to stimulate their instinct to drink. It may take several minutes of heavy misting before hatchlings actually get the idea to drink. Make certain you actually see them lapping water, don't just assume they will - hatchlings can fool ya every time.
Misting will have to be done often - 3-4 heavy mistings daily.

If you see one cham bullying the other or signs of aggression, stress or loss of appetite, you should separate them. Chams are solitary, private and stress really easily. As they mature they must be separated. Don't handle them.

Make sure they have plenty of foliage for cover and for moving about the cate, either cham-safe real plants or artificial and NO substrate at the bottom of the enclosure. A screen enclosure is best for the ventilation they require.

Good luck! I'm sure they are darling little things

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
LauraB
PS ... they will also need supplements, but you probably already know all that ... sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Just want to be sure the little dudes or dudettes get the best possible start

Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
Iguanagirl8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Jackson's are a montane species, so care will have to be taken to keep temps lower than tropical chams would require - especially with hatchlings. They will overheat and dehydrate very quickly. Personally, I would keep the basking temp no higher than 78 degrees, using a regular low-wattage household bulb.

They need UVB AND heat at least 10-12 hours a day, and total darkness at night, with a temp drop if possible (as has been mentioned). Whoever gave you the info re: UVB once a week and heat 10 mins. after eating obviously knows absolutely nothing about chams, unfortunately. Certainly hope they are not giving that info to prospective cham buyers/customers!

A 5.0% UVB linear tube lamp is the best. Stay away from compact or MV bulbs. You will also have to provide a lot of water, both for humidity and for drinking. Generally, chams have to see moving water to stimulate their instinct to drink. It may take several minutes of heavy misting before hatchlings actually get the idea to drink. Make certain you actually see them lapping water, don't just assume they will - hatchlings can fool ya every time.
Misting will have to be done often - 3-4 heavy mistings daily.

If you see one cham bullying the other or signs of aggression, stress or loss of appetite, you should separate them. Chams are solitary, private and stress really easily. As they mature they must be separated. Don't handle them.

Make sure they have plenty of foliage for cover and for moving about the cate, either cham-safe real plants or artificial and NO substrate at the bottom of the enclosure. A screen enclosure is best for the ventilation they require.

Good luck! I'm sure they are darling little things
Thanks so much, I did buy the 5.0 flourescent tube. I have other herps and refuse to use the compact bulbs because of all the bad stuff I've read about them. I also got 25 watt basking lights and lots of plants and vines. We built their cages today, they are each getting their own cage. Now all we have to do is get a spray bottle and we will be bringing them home tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
PS ... they will also need supplements, but you probably already know all that ... sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Just want to be sure the little dudes or dudettes get the best possible start
It's all right the more info the better. I want these little ones to do well. They are just so tiny it's scary.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!