One eye closed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Robert schmaltz
One eye closed

Does anyone know why my Nosy Foly has only one eye open. The other seems fine. He won't open the other for more than a moment. I almost looks like he is trying and sometimes as he trys his eye seems to momentarely sink in and then go back to normal. I have read it could be a vitamin A deficiency or a Parasite that got into an eye. Other than feeding supliments and using beta cartine items for my crickets I don't know other fixes for a Deficiency. If its a parisite how do I treat it????? Thanks Anyone for your help

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
chamgirl99471
Does it seem to have any crust on it? I would take a cuetip with a little water and gently (very gently) try to moisten it. I used to have a Jackson that had the same type of deal and after a couple days of daily cuetip moisturizing he seemed fine. If it's a parasite I haven't the slightest clue on that one.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
gixxer3420
What are your temps? When temps get to low there eye/eyes can close, stress can also cause this. There could be something in his eye. I have never heard of parasites causing this but I dont know when it comes to parasites.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
jmdavis
What kind of lights are you using? One good thing to do would be to take the plant out of your chams cage and place it in the shower with him on it. turn the shower on and point the water towards the wall so it lightly splashes off the wall onto his plant. The water should be warm to the touch.. leave him in there for 15 to 20 min..Not recommended to do this all the time because it can be very stressful to the cham but it should help his eye out. I would make a appointment with the vet tho just to be safe

Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
angie.h
The previous poster asked what type of light....important question because many of the coil type UVB bulbs can cause eye problems.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
prodigal1011
I agree with jmdavis. It could be a number of things such as a foreign object, infection or improper lighting (mostly effects both eyes), but a shower can help flush away any debris and the humidity and heat can help relieve some pressure behind the eye for the time being. Does the eye seem swollen at all? Any crust or seeping? My best advise is to seek a knowledgeable herp vet as soon as possilbe. They can prescribe antibiotics or eye drops to help or suggest a change in husbandry. I've used Bactin, Batril, and Gentican to treat eye and upper respiratory infections in the past and depending on the symptoms, and problem usually a few treatments and everything is back to normal.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Robert schmaltz
Thanks everyone. I use mercury vapor that is the best. it is not the light or I would see it wide spread. I do rinse his eye each day and it helps. It just started to crust up a little. I am taking him to a vet if i can find one in this small town. Thanks Rob

Old 12-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
prodigal1011
The development of crust could also be from multiple things. Even Ficus sap can irritate the eye enough to where they rub it on limbs and the cage and get an infection in that eye. Hope you can find a vet soon!!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Killer Chams
If your using ficus in his cage. I would remove it. I only use schefflerra now and have no eye issues with any of my collection. Terrmyacin is good for clearing up eye issues. It is a topical cream and can be applied to the eye in a small glob and you allow the animal to move it around when they open their eyes. Usually you will see improvment after a few days of treatment. Before trying this I would buy plain saline eye wash. Squirt a nice stream directly into the opening of the eye turret. They turret should fill with saline and then slowly drain out. If its any debris in there it should flush it out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!