Help with Meller's chameleon care? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
CeaserGirl938
Help with Meller's chameleon care?

I got a meller's chameleon today at a reptile convention. I'm not terribly familiar with chameleons yet, but I do work often with other types of reptiles. I've done lots of reading and am doing the best to provide for him so far, but just as a helpful precaution, I'd like to speak to someone who is willing to answer some questions I may have about caring for him.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Jungle Jewels Reptiles
Hi Danielle,

Congrats on your new melleri...have you gone onto the chameleon forums yet? Wonderful site for cham owners with lots of info available..They also have a specific site for melleri, located on the bottom of the page..You might also want to look on the melleri discovery site..It's not updated alot, but still tons of useful info on it..

My advice to you would be to keep in mind that is is 99% w/c and it does need to be kept away from any and all other reptiles that you may currently have..It will also need to be taken to the vet and treated for parasites as all w/c usually carry them...Melleri LOVE showers and love to drink...shower him/her once every other day for at least the next 2 weeks as a precaution..If you want to 'friend" me on f/b, i can help you out more there. I am on there off and on all day..I currently have 2 melleri juvies and have had numerous ones in the past..Had my first one, Sprite for over 6 years...You can see some awesome pics of him on my f/b..Good luck..

Debby

Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Killer Chams
Be extremely careful treating that melleri for any possible parasites. He/she is a montane chameleon. The montanes (jacksons, melleri, etc...) have a harder time dealing with the side effects of treatment. I'd attempt to get the cham as hydrated as possible first. Let it acclimate and let the internal parasites it could be carrying get under control naturally before attempting a shot gun treatment. If there are too many dead parasites in a chams body following treatment that can kill the cham just as surely as being overwhelmed by living parsites. Its truly a fine line your walking with this wc cham. You may want to attempt treating the cham with Reptaid first before resorting to any harsh meds. Ive heard nothing but good things about Reptaid. It can be purchased at LLL reptile online.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
CeaserGirl938
I've had him for two weeks now, and I don't think he has parasites. Hes doing very well, eating and drinking. I'm feeding him gutloaded crickets daily, and misting his cage between 5 and 7 times a day. He doesn't turn dark or get spots when we get near him anymore, he just stays a pretty green all the time.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Killer Chams
The only way to know for certain if he/she has any is to do a fecal on him/her. Get a fresh stool sample and take it in to your exotic vet. He can do a fecal smear or a float. A float shows more than a smear. That will give you an idea what he's got going on. Its your cham and your decision just trying to help you. Ive been breeding chams off and on since '96 so I have some exp dealing with new wc imports. I just got 2 wc falys in a few weeks ago. I havent done anything but quarantine and mist the hell outta them for now. They will get treated in another month or so. I always wait to see if females come in gravid. Treating while gravid is not something you want to do. And theres no way of knowing if youve got yourself a male or female so personally I'd wait and see. Or do a round of reptaid.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!