Panther Chameleon Breeding for temperament? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Onetruesikorsky
Panther Chameleon Breeding for temperament?

Is this possible, or does it all have to do with how often you hold them from when they're young as they grow?

I have a BB Ambilobe male and he's the sweetest thing ever, but the female I have is a total jerk. By total jerk I mean if I even so much as look her direction she puffs up, gapes, and actively tries to bite. She'll even twist around to bite your fingers if she's standing on them. Not only am I hesitant of putting my male with her since he's so laid back, I don't want that awful temperament possibly being passed on to the hatchlings.

I also have another question - my male, when he sees a female (or is put in front of a mirror), rarely shows a mating response. He doesn't puff up in front of the mirror, he just looks at it like it's no big deal, and I've only seen him show his mating colors once or twice. He also attempted to copulate with a willing female (not the one mentioned above) and he had NO IDEA what he was doing. He would bob his head and show his colors, and then he couldn't figure out how to mount her properly. Eventually she just got fed up and ran off and I separated them again. Since then he's only shown his mating colors once. My male was about six months old that first time, and now he's about eight/nine months old.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
LauraB
Quote:
Is this possible, or does it all have to do with how often you hold them from when they're young as they grow?
Yes it is possible and no .. chameleons generally do not like to be handled, so breeding has nothing to do with "holding" them. Your female is a "total jerk" because it is the norm for them to be "total jerks". They are solitary and private creatures.

Breeding comes with age of both the male and female .. one year minimal for both. Sucessful mating has much to do with the female's size and health.

Breeding results if husbandry is perfect, they are healthy and are not regularly housed together nor do they feel competition for housing, space, privacy or food. They don't even like to see one another in nature, let alone in captive environments.

Finally ... good luck! It's awesome when you see those eggs hatching out after so many months of babysitting them!

Let your male get older, stop handling both & and stop putting him in front of mirrors. Wait until your females display their mating colors and then try again.

Feed them well and gutload their crickets/worms/roaches with fresh greens & fruit. Make sure they get proper hydration, supplements, UVB and ample room (and privacy) in their enclosures.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Killer Chams
Chameleons even cb chams are wild animals. They have only been in a captive enviroment for a cpl of generations. So its not possible to breed for personality in such a limited window of captivity. Its takes many generations of captive individuals before you could even start to see a difference in attitude or aggressiveness. Some tolerate handling and come to recognize keepers and want to hoitch a ride with them. But these arent dogs or cats that breeders have had 100's of yrs to breed and pursue certain traits and attributes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!