Best chams for free ranging in a green house - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
porkchop48
Best chams for free ranging in a green house

Is it possible to free range any type of chams in a green house?

The green house will be 10X12 and them temps high 80's to low 90's.

Suggestions?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
George J. Ward
That really depends on the species. Some are arid grassland species,some are mountain species,some are ground dwellers(pigmy),some need higher humidity,etc. So this really depends on the species you are looking to set up.I am from S. Florida,if you can,get the Veileds that are established populations here,they do real well as do captive born and they acclimate relatively easy. Your free roam green house would be ideal you just have to watch your winter temps. Pleas get all the literature you can get on the chameleons,Masters of disguise is an excellent book for refrence points for your chameleon needs! I will have c.b. flapneck chameleons here in 50-60days.I get the imports that are gravid and get them to drop and incubate them,then I have c.b. baby flaps that due well in captivty. If you need any other info (772-240-3456) or georgeward7416@yahoo.com

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Killer Chams
First you need to pick one specific species to be kept in the greenhouse. Get your avg temps you need to keep them healthy. For ex pardalis do well in the mid to high 70's and a basking areas of the low 80's. So you will need a swamp chiller for the hot summer months. In winter you may be able to get away with not having to have a heater just depends on how low the temps get in your area.

I wouldnt suggest any type of outdoor free range setup until you have at least a cpl of yrs of sucess indoors first. You need to know what an animal looks like when its under different types of stress. Also monitoring feeding is going to be a concern outside. Are you going to cup feed?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
porkchop48
Hi Greg,

The green house is still being set it. It will be partially shaded and have misters. I want to monitor the temps through out the rest of the summer before I get any thing to put in it.

I did plan on cup feeding.

The temps do get very cold here in the winter so I think I am going to have to heat it. But again I will be monitoring the temps during the winter to see what they are so I can adjust accordingly.

I have raised jacksons for a few years and kept veiled for a few years so I am not totally new to keeping them but I am totally new to keeping them outside/ more of a free range enviornment.

But I am all ears at any suggestions you may have.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Killer Chams
Hey Kristy,

Personally I think you'd have an easier time with either veileds or panthers. Both can withstand temps into the high 80's with no ill effects esp since you'll have misters coming on during the day. Jacksons would be a good choice if you plan on moving them inside during the summer months. I just dont think they'll be able to withstand the summer heat even with misters. Maybe if you bought a swamp cooler for the green house but even then I think your going to see some heat related stress. Also since they are live bearers you'd really have to move the females inside anyway when they were gravid to avoid losing the neonates after birth. Good luck with whatever you choose. Im building a large facility for my collection also so I know how much work it can be. Greg

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
porkchop48
Well so far without the misters the temps have been in the mid 90's with the vents/ fans goings.

Not sure how much the cool water misters are going to change that but I should hope to find out soon.

Looks like my idea of a greenhouse with free ranging chams might be out the window. But I still will check the temps after the misters are in.

What kinds of temps do Mellers need? or is there any that enjoy higher temps?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Killer Chams
Not mellers, they like it cool. Veileds can handle higher temps than most other commonly kept species. But I think your gonna have to consider trying to rotate them inside during the warmer months no matter what sp of cham you choose. I know Cham Co keeps their chams outside yr round in greenhouse type facilities but I dont know how Jim deals with the heat? Cool misters help but not when temps are in the high 90's.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!