The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #41
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Lynn,

It was simply an idea. Neither great or perfect but just an idea.
A good idea, when the thought behind it is to expand membership. I have had similar thoughts, to help those who could not get a membership, and the way I went about it is to just gift a membership to someone else. I've done this a few times. So maybe up the road when you see a need you could do something similar just every once in a while.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #42
Iguanalady
I had been a contributing member in the past, it was my pleasure to do it again to help Rich out. I hate facebook! At least here I get honest opinions that can't be deleted. I read BOI on a daily basis just to keep up to date on who not to do business with and also who I can trust. Thanks Rich for all your hard work along with all the mods here. It is of great value to me and many other.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #43
JimM
I look at the BOI all the time as I'm blown away at how low the standards of reptile dealing have dropped in the 47 years I've been doing it and I love to see the scammers revealed. Think it's bad now, wait until this place disappears and see how even more scammers come out of the woodwork and standards drop even further.

Anyway, I've wanted to contribute but always saw PAYPAL is the way you take payment. I refuse to use PAYPAL to pay for anything. Isn't there another way to pay for the contribution ?

Old 01-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #44
Insomniac101
Come on, folks! It's 7 cents a day for a Contributing membership!! I find at least 10 cents a day in my couch cushions!

I find it irritating that so many people profit from the sale of animals and dry goods, while utilizing this site for free, yet balk at supporting it.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #45
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I look at the BOI all the time as I'm blown away at how low the standards of reptile dealing have dropped in the 47 years I've been doing it and I love to see the scammers revealed. Think it's bad now, wait until this place disappears and see how even more scammers come out of the woodwork and standards drop even further.

Anyway, I've wanted to contribute but always saw PAYPAL is the way you take payment. I refuse to use PAYPAL to pay for anything. Isn't there another way to pay for the contribution ?

Jim,
PM Rich, and ask if you can send payment like I do...I won't use PayPal again for any reason. PERIOD!

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #46
JimM
I'd pay double that just to keep it going if I didn't have to go through PP , and I don't even use the 'vast' herp comunity anymore ... I only buy,sell or trade with friends or their referrals and only meet in person at a rest stop or restaraunt ... not a show ; like we did 'back in the day'.

The internet and social (anti-social) media has done just as much bad as good to this hobby ... all depending on who uses it for what. The BOI hasn't been infallible, but has done a lot to keep things in line.

Right now there are many dirt ball dealers who think the end of the BOI is one of the best things that could happen to them.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #47
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Right now there are many dirt ball dealers who think the end of the BOI is one of the best things that could happen to them.

Don't you know........You hit that nail square on the head!

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 01-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #48
WebSlave
I have had several people either renew their contributions, or make new ones, and I thank you all for that. But I really need to clear the air, as I believe there is an excellent chance that what is going on concerning the future of the BOI has not been made perfectly clear.

I started this conversation initially in the moderator's forum with the goal in mind to get their feedback whether they felt that FaunaClassifieds could survive without the Board of Inquiry. I believe the thoughts varied from, yes, it would survive in a "limp along" state, to the suggestion that I go full retirement, pack the bags for Connie and myself, close down FaunaClassifieds completely without a backward glance, then travel the countryside leaving my cares behind. And a lot of scenarios in between.

Quite honestly what you see now is really PLAN B. PLAN A had been to restrict the BOI to paying members only on 02-02-2019 as I felt I owed the contributing members that much. Then a year later, on 02-02-2020, shut the BOI down completely. After getting some suggestions from the moderators after I told them my PLAN A decision, I thought hard on it, and decided to modify the second part of that plan. So instead of a hard shut down on 02-02-2020, it is now a "let's wait and see how things look then". I'll be perfectly honest, I don't believe enough people really give a crap any longer to keep the BOI from shutting down. And quite likely PLAN A will be what really takes place.

As such, I do not want anyone to be under the unintended misguided impression that the BOI remaining is a done deal. Even only available to contributing members. I would say that it is more likely that PLAN A is the future that will develop.

So if people still want to contribute, please do so under that full understanding. You will be supporting this SITE, and not the Board of Inquiry. I presume there are a number of people who would prefer FaunaClassifieds to survive, even without the BOI. Yes? No??

Anyway, I wanted to get this out in the open, as I felt I have been dancing around this point, and it's been eating at me that I may be inadvertently misleading people by omission of some details about the future I really expect to take place.

Yes, I expect the BOI will be gone on 02-02-2020. I am just not saying right now that it POSITIVELY will be so, just very likely so, based on what I have seen over the last few years concerning dwindling support. I really do not expect that to turn around. But I am also willing to admit, and submit to the advice of my moderators, that I could be wrong.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #49
Pasodama
I know/knew this is plan B, vs. shut down, but my understanding, is that the BOI's survival is, now, (in your words) "up to us". IOW If the amount of contributor level memberships (for the site, of course) go up, the more likely it is that the BOI will survive (when you revisit this in 02-02-20). Did I misunderstand or is this correct?

~~~~

Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #50
Pasodama
I realize that, due to your experience of dwindling support, you don't expect that things will be much different in 2020.
Hopefully, things change for the better.

~~~~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!