Veiled - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Lucille
Veiled

Finally after many years of admiring chameleons, I am going to have one of my own. I've read a lot but I'm still apprehensive, of all the reptile critters excepting perhaps the ant eating lizards, the chameleons seem to be the most challenging.
For those who have veileds I would love hearing about them and how they live, and what they eat and don't eat for you.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Lizardeaux
I switch up feeding mine crickets and super worms. This keeps them from getting tired of one and not eating. They will do this also, just get sick of eating one kind of insect and decide to quit eating. I also chop up greens, (turnip mostly) and put them in a baby jar. They go nuts for these. I also spray mine with a spray bottle 3 times a day. They come to the door now and get me to gently spray directly in their mouth. They are spoiled just a little. lol
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Cookiegirl
veiled

My adult veileds eat meal worms and crickets. Once a week they get a pinkie mice one or 2. This helps with their calcium needs especially the females. My adult male veiled likes grapes. I only feed it to him once a week. You need to cut it in halve it easier for him to pick up. I also make sure I give them a good gut loaded cricket with a recipe made of powdered milk and other nutrients. I hop this helps. I read about the greens in the previous post I am gpoing to try that on my chameleons.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
Lucille
Thank you Cindy and Sandy. Cindy, I love the pix you included.

What do y'all use for substrate?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Cookiegirl
veiled

I just use newspapers in the bottom of the cage. I cut or fold it to fit. Newspapers are very absorbant.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Casey Hulse
When we used to breed them, we kept a live golden pothos plant in with them, you could see little wedge shaped bites on the edges of the leaves. We used to rinse the plant very well, and wait a week or so to make sure there was no pesticide on the leaves. They really enjoy them, plus you can set up a "dripper" to keep the plant watered. There are a few other plants they like also, I think begonias are good also. We used a plastic cup wired to the side of the cage to feed them, make sure if the cham. falls in the cup he can climb out.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Lizardeaux
I just use paper towels in the bottom and switch them out each day!
My two girls have never been with a male but each just laid 52 non fertile eggs. For that I put a tall white trash can that fits in the cage, filled with damp eco earth almost to the top. They were able to dig a deep hole to the bottom and lay the eggs. It worked like a charm. Got it at walmart for $1.48. Perfect size.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Stardust

I love chams! In fact so much so that I am thinking of getting more. They are amazing to watch.
I also use gut loaded crickets and mealies along with some greens. I use paper towels for the most part (plain white), for me it is just easier to clean up daily then once a week I take out everything to give a good cleaning. I went to walmart and just got one of their fake trees and took off the branch parts with the leaves cleaned them and use them. I also have an outdoor encloser for them to go into in the summer, I make sure they have shade and sun out there and they decide where they want to be.
I never thought I would find peace for long periods of time just watching like I do with fish UNTIL I got my first cham. The eyes, tail, the way they move and tongues, they are amazing creatures.
If you decide to get one and admired them in the past I am sure you will get even more mesmorized by them in person

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
If you decide to get one and admired them in the past I am sure you will get even more mesmorized by them in person

True, so true. He just now arrived and he is beeeyoootiful and colorful.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Stardust
I am happy for you They really are awesome in person aren't they?
Post a pic, everyone loves pics

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!