Made My Own Tracking Database - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Talking Made My Own Tracking Database

This past weekend I decided to make my own database using OOBase. I use and do love iHerp, but I really wanted to have inventory tracking. I looked at Degei but I really did not like it. Now granted it is still a work in progress, my database is now perfectly functional for what I need. I can track feedings, weight, and anything else I want. I can add food items to my inventory, and when I track a feeding, the inventory is automatically adjusted.

What I still need to work on...

I still need to make it so that the list of options for breeding automatically populates and adds new animals as they are added to the database. Right now I have to add to the list manually.

I would also like to make is to that when I track breeding for one animal, the tracking for the second animal involves automatically updates. Again, this currently has to be done manually.

With all that being said. I must say I am proud of myself.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
NIGRO51
Looks good!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
AGoodwin
Thanks!

Like I said, it is still a work in progress so I am adding new features and tweaking things as I go, but all in all I am happy with how it is working. I find the tracking is much quicker than on iHerp, however only for individual tracking. I think another feature I am going to add is batch tracking. I think it should be fairly simple to implement. I guess I will see!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Focal
Very neat!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
TexasVipRoom
i really really like that! I have been wanting something diff then iherp for a while! its good but Its not great.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
TexasVipRoom
what template did you use?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
AGoodwin
no template. made from scratch.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
TexasVipRoom
ahhh dang.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
TexasVipRoom
if you ever feel like Sharing or needing help debug I would be interested. I like the format great job!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
AGoodwin
You are more than welcome to have a copy, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Although the front end looks good and it is completely functional, what is going on behind the scenes is less than optimal. This was only my second DB and I basically just learn as I go so there are a few things that although working, I probably went about implementing the wrong way. (e.g. to get the inventory tracking to work, I have a separate query set up for every item and size combination because I could not figure out how to do it all in one query)

2) As mentioned in my original post, the names of the animals available in the list of breeding options has to be manually added.

There are probably more things I can't think of at the moment, but as I said, you are more than welcome to have a copy of what I have. PM your email and I will send it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!