stuck shed fatality - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
hisk
stuck shed fatality

What's the likelihood of a young crested gecko dying from a stuck shed in less than a week? The breeder of my gecko claimed that it's abrupt death could be attributed to this, but I would like a second opinion.

The image in which the reptile looks brown is the first picture, and the image in which it looks lighter is only a day before it died.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
hisk
Here is the first image, the website isn't working well for me on mobile.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Pasodama
My opinion is that this gecko did not pass away (in less than a week) due to stuck shed. I see no obvious, severe, bodily constriction. Further, it is not a typical cause of demise.
Inability to shed, and stuck shed, is a secondary problem caused by a primary problem. Usually, a gecko passes away due to the primary problem (be it dehydration, parasites, stress, etc., etc.).

Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
snowgyre
I agree with Deb completely. The only way a stuck shed could kill an animal is if it dried out and constricted an airway or major blood vessel, which is obviously not the case here. Was the animal sold to you with a stuck shed?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
hisk
I can't find the picture I took that day, but the animal was IN shed when I bought it, though there was only a slight visual "tightness" around the toes. The only other thing I think could cause abrupt death would be dehydration or overheating, neither of which should have been an issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!