HELP!!! feeding frozen mice/rats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Hart4ever
Stop! HELP!!! feeding frozen mice/rats

Hi there

I currently have a 3 month old Brazilian Rainbow Boa and a POSSIBLE 1 year old Ball python. My Brazilian is on small hoppers and has actually done a full sized adult mouse but she has ONLY eaten live and the last one i gave her BIT HER ( no scars or anything) I just bought the Ball and of course the stresses of a new enviornment are causing him not to eat. At the store i got him from, He was eating EVERY 2 weeks and was eating Live. TO GET TO THE POINT I want to start them both on F/t Mice and Rats..... i have never done it and need some tips....

Thanks EVERYONE

Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
What I do is this: Take a live mouse and stun it, don't actually kill it, just stun it. Try to get the snake to take the mouse off tongs. If the snake won't take it off tongs, put the stunned mouse in the cage and see if snake eats it. After a few feedings, the snake should take it off the tongs. This is where you change to F/T. Thaw out a mouse and offer it on tongs. I do this with any newly acquired snake and all my snakes take mice/rats off tongs.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Hart4ever
Hey thanks.....

What about LEAVING a frozen in the seperate feeding bin for a while. I have done it once with both snakes and both have seemed very interested, just not VERY HUNGRY.... also my ball is a little over 2 pounds and they were feeding him regular sized mice, but that seems TO SMALL do you agree?

Old 03-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
snakebiteAZ1
Yeah

He should be eating at least a small rat!!! Good luck. Mike

Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Uncloudy
My Brazilian Rainbow Boa only ate live for a while also. I got my BRB to switch to frozen/thawed by warming up the f/t with hot/boiling water and using my temp gun to get the temps just right. Then dangled in front of my BRB with tongs and got a feeding response, my BRB still thought it was live. Now, my BRB eats f/t without being warmed up. The BRB should switch rather easily, they have strong feeding responses and if you do feed live be sure to stun them or cervical displacement.
Good Luck,
Uncloudy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!