Florida King snake dried/wrinkled scales? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
ajhyp
Florida King snake dried/wrinkled scales?

This guy arrived about a week ago, fed three days ago, and I was checking on him today. He felt very rough unlike all the other kings I experienced so I took a closer look. His scales, almost all of them appear to be extremely rough and dry.

Is this normal? What may cause this?? I’m wondering if it’s the humidity he was kept in at his prior home? I’ve provided a humid hide just in case, and he doesn’t seem to be using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
WebSlave
He might have been kept TOO damp.

I once had a blotched king that just wasn't shedding, and the skin kept on building up layers. Of course, I thought he was too dry, and kept on keeping the cage very moist. After this just wasn't working, I decided to go in the other direction, provided a lot of airflow, and kept the cage dry. This time he went through the shed cycle (which he was doing very often), and finally shed the old skin. Of course, the skin was like cardboard, but he was able to get through it OK.

So sometimes the answer isn't what would seem obvious at first blush.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!