boxing and labeling Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
ohsocrazie
boxing and labeling Question

Ok according to the lacey act when shipping I have to mark the outside box with wildlife or live harmless reptile and I attach the customer invoice on the interior of the box on the exterior lid of the foam insulator. Is this correct? Is there any documents I should print out or phone #'s I should have on hand incase fedex gives me a problem? Reptile express has great prices on boxes and they are already premarked "live harmless reptile" I was planning on ordering from them.

My customer wants me to use ship your reptile over reptile express which is fine by me. Being ship your reptile is certified I don't have to be, is this also correct?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
hhmoore
The Lacey Act requires labeling and description of contents; but it doesn't state specifically how that is to be done...without going back to check, I believe the wording is something to the effect of according to industry standards (which are outlined in other places). The box has to be labeled on the outside, that part is generally accepted, but not everybody is in agreement with what labeling is appropriate. SYR has always advocated for minimal labeling, which has been a source of contention for many. When I shipped my first reptiles, nearly 20 yrs ago, I was informed that the box had to state Live Harmless Reptiles, and that a list of contents - common name, scientific name, and number of each - had to be on the outside of the box. That is the guideline that I use to this day.

(Note: the Live Harmless Reptiles label is valid IF you are shipping live harmless reptiles. If you aren't shipping reptiles, or they aren't harmless - read: nonvenomous - use another label)

Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
ohsocrazie
Thank you!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
RustyNuts
Also, you will want to include a copy of an invoice or at the very least a piece of paper inside the box that has the recipient's name and contact information on it, as well as the tracking number for the shipment. Include a list of contents on the paperwork too.

I work for UPS and have many friends at the postal service and FedEx and everyone pretty much agrees. All three use a lot of machinery and belts to do their sorting and sometimes a box can get wedged or damaged in such a way that the label comes off the outside of the package. If there's no label or address inside the box then there's no way to know where the package is supposed to go so it either sits there until someone calls for it and identifies the contents or is turned over to animal control officers, depending on location. Neither scenario is too good for your reptiles.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
ohsocrazie
Thanks Rusty I'll be sure to include all that.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
All shipping regulations (including Federal labeling requirements) is in this thread.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
GreenCountryHerp
Mark the box "Live Harmless Reptile" and attach a packing list inside a plastic sleeve to the outside of the box. This way you are not letting everyone know exactly whats inside, but the people who need to know have access to the contents by opening the packing list instead of your box.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!