Incubating Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Frankie J
Incubating Eggs

Hi All,
I have a question about the incubation of the eggs. The mother laid about 2 weeks ago. I took them and put them in a hovabator incubator. They are in a rubbermaid style container with hatch rite. The temp in about 88 with humidity about 90%.

My question is, Is it normal for the eggs to get what looks like mold on them? Out of the 8 3 have this. Where the color has changed on the egg it is really soft and almost damp feeling???

I had the eggs sitting in on the hatch rite but put a piece of mesh to get them off the substrate...

Any thoughts would be great.

Frank

Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Uroboros
What kind of eggs are they? (NVM, I just noticed the forum it's in)

I've heard lots of things about hatch rite, but none of it was any good.

The temps and humidity sound about right to me, the eggs are supposed to be about half buried in your substrate.

Kinda sounds like the three eggs are dead, to me.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
don't give up on an egg~ no matter how moldy and gross and sunken it looks~ until it starts to stink or go past 60 days. If they feel wet~ sounds like they may be too damp~ moving them above the substrate is a good try. Try not to open the incubator too often. I'd suggest 90F~ but sinse you've already started at 88F don't try to change it now. Just give them 70 days before you give up!

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Frankie J
Sorry they are ball python eggs. I candled them the other night. All the eggs look the same as far as that goes.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Uroboros
They look the same as in red veins running through them?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Where in MA are you Located? Id be happy to help you out if you need any help figuring out if things are good or not.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Frankie J
Yes, the veins...

I live in Salisbury

Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie J View Post
Yes, the veins...

I live in Salisbury
Ah, much too far then. Im in western MA.

Just use a small flashlight to look in the eggs. Gently shine it to the side of the egg, a mini mag light works well. You want the egg to Glow, so that you can look and see if there are veins inside. Eggs with veins are good. Eggs that are just yellow with no veins, are more than likely not fertile. Let us know what you see!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Frankie J
I have yet another question on these eggs. One of the eggs completly shrivilled up. So I took it out, cut it opened and it looked like a hard boiled egg... I scared all the other eggs are going to dye on me. Temps between 88-90....

Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
could have been a slug.

dont mess with them much. Have you tried the flashlight method to see if they are fertile?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!