Wait... so its okay to ship through UPS? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
ChadOwens
Wait... so its okay to ship through UPS?

I used to ship through Ship Your Reptile and I thought that they got shut down because UPS is no longer allows reptile shipments - however, I still see a lot of people shipping snakes through UPS.

Can someone clarify please.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Focal
From the UPS website:

Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

I would suggest against UPS from all the recent delays in shipments.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
AltitudeExotics
You cannot ship snakes through UPS, But i work at UPS, and honestly, our building manager us so scared of them, he refuses to turn anyone in, because it means opening the boxes. lol

Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadOwens View Post
I used to ship through Ship Your Reptile and I thought that they got shut down because UPS is no longer allows reptile shipments - however, I still see a lot of people shipping snakes through UPS.

Can someone clarify please.

Thanks
Some very large breeders have special contracts to ship snakes via UPS. Other people just don't care and are violating UPS policy.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
ChadOwens
Thanks for the info

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
kellylake0001
so how hard is it to get the permits/ paperwork to ship snakes trough ups
?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylake0001 View Post
so how hard is it to get the permits/ paperwork to ship snakes trough ups
?
You need to be a large volume shipper. They don't allow anyone.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
You need to be a large volume shipper.
And even then it's still up in the air. Rich Z (SerpenCo) had his UPS shipping ripped right out from underneath him for no reason.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Some very large breeders have special contracts to ship snakes via UPS. Other people just don't care and are violating UPS policy.
And this is a perfect reason why NOT to use UPS or buy from someone who ships UPS. Very seldom will UPS employees know what they are moving now and with the large decrease of reptile shipments, I doubt your new pet will get that special care and treatment that you hope for. Using a carrier that ships such a low amount of reptiles is asking for trouble.

Funny thing is, since this change, I've already seen one of these "big breeders" that have a contract with UPS end up with a customer receiving a DOA and their first response was, "we will send another using FedEx." So my theory is, if they know UPS is questionable but they still use them, then its about saving money, not the pet.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
And this is a perfect reason why NOT to use UPS or buy from someone who ships UPS. Very seldom will UPS employees know what they are moving now and with the large decrease of reptile shipments, I doubt your new pet will get that special care and treatment that you hope for. Using a carrier that ships such a low amount of reptiles is asking for trouble.
I wonder though, do you guys really think that shipping employees in general (fed ex, UPS, USPS, etc) actually handle a box differently because it says fragile? I often wonder this when I am packaging up animals or anything else that is fragile. I would think that they see so many packages in a small amount of time that they really don't pay much attention to any scribbling we have put on them. This also applies to the "this direction up" arrows that are on the boxes.

The other thing to consider here is that much of the shipping process is automated now days (hence the VERY large bar code on the packages) with laser scanners for destination, box dimensions, etc. I wonder how many times during a typical reptile shipping event the box actually touches someone's hands (other than at the counter and the delivery driver).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!