multiple adult bp shipping question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
edf01
multiple adult bp shipping question

Hello all,

I am in the process of quoting someone who is going to receive 4 adult normal bps ( for th emost part normal, the 4 wiegh from 1000-2500 grams)

I have a shipping question. I have shipped multiple snakes before, but they were like 200 gram babies.

Can I use a huge box or should I split them and ship in two boxes? Whichever box would be best, its one of the shipping boxes from SYR.

I am just not sure of shipping them in all one box would cause issues with them squishing each other, awkward heating with heat packs if needed, and ect. Any extra space in the large box will be filled with newspaper and ect.

I can go either way, I just want to find this info out before I do a shipping quote.

Thankyou's in advance.

Janet

Old 04-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
garweft
1000-2500g each?

Your looking at a good $150 shipping bill, maybe more, I doubt less.

It would be cheaper if you could find a way to do it Delta Dash, but it's not really easy to get an account, or worth it for 1 shipment. You can try to find someone with an account that would help you, but I doubt that is any easier.

Go with the 30x16x10 box (comes in a shipping kit here) and a bag for everyone. 4 adults should fit easily in that size box. It might be easier to do 2 separate boxes, but not sure about cheaper, my guess is it would be about the same pricewise.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
edf01
Matt,

thank you for your advice and reply.

I have a box, but I some how think it is a smidge bigger- i am about to dig it out ( buried it in the back of my over stuffed closet) and you are almost right about the shipping- i didnt write it down b/c i was using that size box, and it was a little more than that. Its gonna be a 14 pound box ( lol, this is the only time I will curse having a 2500 gram female )

As it stands right now, I don't know anyone with delta dash, and I would feel kind of awkward doing that. I think of it this way- If someone asked me to use their account to ship out a snake, I would feel a bit leary ( because in my case they wouldn't know me personally) b/c what if something happened? it would go back to the owners account. ( dont worry, I shipped before and I do it correctly, but still, I couldnt ask a stranger to do something I would feel a bit leary about)

I just want to make sure the snakes are safe during shipping. I can cushion them with t-shirts and ect on the bottom and use crumbled newspaper ( wouldnt want to do cloth all over in fear of blocking heat from heat pack if I need to use them when I ship) on the sides and all for cushioning. I dont want them jammmed pack but dont want them slideing around. In my thoughts, I would position them in the center of the box, and if I nee dot use a heat pack, but it on the center top. If I need to use 2, one on top, one on the side in the middle, that way the heat from the packs wouldnt have to go through a lot of of protection.

Does my logic sound good and this would be an acceptable way to ship 4 adult females in one box? Now, I am not dead set on one box, would be conveient since I have the box already and no chance of the 2 shipments getting seperated and one lost, but in the end, I want what is in the absolute best interest for the safety of the snakes- period.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
hhmoore
Check Southwest - last I knew, they didn't require shipper verification (btw - becoming a recognized Delta shipper is NOT difficult.....but there is a fee, and a process. I got my cert within 2 weeks, and it only took that long because the guy was going on vacation when I called to schedule the site visit). What I don't know about SW is whether they offer a flight guarantee (similar to Delta Dash, where you schedule the shipment for specific flights)...if not, the service will be comparable to Delta Cargo, and you will be unable to provide definite arrival information to the customer)

Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
chamgirl99471
I just shipped 5 Ball Pythons using FedEx and yes... the shipping charge is up there but if packaged right they should be fine. I just made sure they had plenty of room and used 2 Heat Packs in the box and made sure there was plenty of cusioning so they weren't bouncing around and squishing each other. Each snake in it's own bag is a good idea although I had 2 in two bags and one in another and they seemed to do just fine that way.. I put crumbled newspaper in the bag with the snakes so they would wrap around that instead of their companion if they got nervous. The package arrived safe and sound and on time so I guess I got lucky. It was my first time shipping that many adults at once and the package weighed 19 lbs

Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
DISCERN
Janet,

I read your description of the box/packaging. I personally would only ship in a styro box or styro lined box, preferably with at least 1 inch thick styrofoam on all sides, bottom, and top. This is all for the absolute safety of those animals.

Maybe another herper you know can assist in getting one if you don't have one or a way to make one? If not, maybe go see if there is a fish store near you that has a styro lined fish box they can give you?

I also agree with Harold, you should look into Southwest as well.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
hhmoore
You could also split the snakes into two smaller boxes, and secure them together. I've sent and received a few shipments like that.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
hhmoore
Hmmm...now that I think about it - those packages were all sent via the Delta. I don't see why it would be a problem with FedEx, though - just remember (example) it would be a 15x15x20 box instead of 15x15x10.

Just for giggles, do a price comparison between two separate shipments and one stacked shipment.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
chamgirl99471
When I shipped mine.. I did the price comparison and it came up to about $30 more to ship in seperate boxes... I used 1 inch Styrofoam in mine as it insulates against the cold and makes the box more sturdy and is usually a standard in Reptile shipping nowadays.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
edf01
Discern- you misunderstood me, the boxes are the boxes from SYR, its the big box still intact shoved all the way back in my closet- they have the styrofoam and all in them. I would never ship reptiles out without them. All the other stuff, crumbled newspaper and tshirts would be extra cushioning along with that. I appreciate you speaking up incase I was not using using styrophoam.

Well, the issue with one box is: if it gets tilted to one side, you know, fed-ex not listeninmg to the this side up arrow, the amoutn of weight one of the snakes would squish the other- prolly not pancake the snake, but still....i'd be concernewd for the poor snake on the bottom of a 3 snake pileup.

There is about a 100+ $difference in shipping one versus 2. I got feedback via email from someone who said shipping in 2 boxes would be much better. Its liek the paragraph above.... they may not do damage to each other if box is turned to its side or such, but it could... You know, if I was delivering these myself- even a longer drive, I wouldnt have to ask. I would use the big box. I know I would handle to box correctly, not place it down on the wrong side hard and all that. But, I am not delivering the package...

Harald, I will do a quote with them stacked. ANd check southwest as well.

I appreciate all the advice and info here guys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!