My 1st Boa Breeding Attempt - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Twizted Paths
My 1st Boa Breeding Attempt

This is my first time trying to breed reptiles of any sort and I'm bloody nervous. Especially since these two are my favorite favorites. So sorry for the long post but hey, there's pictures

This is the second time I put them together, the first time she just wasn't having it. I put them in Q tubs next to each other with one of his sheds in her tub for about three weeks. I talked to Joe and Nicole over at stripedboas and put them back together the day before thanksgiving.

Fitz (Cherry line male) had refused his last two feedings, gave himself minor nose rub trying to pop the lid next to her enclosure and left a sperm plug on my arm when I had him out to clean his cage.

Mi Cara (unknown Hypo) hasn't missed a meal since I've had her and gave herself minor noserub because I wouldn't take her out. (She is Not spoiled.) I printed out some boa breding stuff and used it to line her tub.

So I put them in a neutral tank, a damnably dark boaphile. I can't see anything unless they're right up on the glass or I stick the camera in there and take a pic with the flash.

Day one she spends the whole day smashing the crap out of him, I taped a picture to the front of the cage so she could see that he belonged on top of her. I spent the whole day hoping he was ok. Handling her every day I didn't realize how big she really is, he looks so small with her. Day two lots of cleaning urates and a possible lock up? I don't know. Stupid dark cage. *kicks rocks* Day three she's blue and more urates. Today I have more urates. Are they supposed to piss this much?! The last pic is from today, the second to last one is both their tails.

Sorry the pictures aren't better, I'm not that spiffy with a camera and I'm trying not to bug them a lot (trying really hard).

Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
heathn
good luck with them!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Twizted Paths
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
SakaraGT4
good luck!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Artistry Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
I taped a picture to the front of the cage so she could see that he belonged on top of her.

Good luck! Hopefully they'll figure it out!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Twizted Paths
Thanks! I think she ovulated, so they may have figured it out. They've both shed and have been ignoring each other for the past three days so I'm going to pull her and try feeding them. Fitz hasn't accepted food for two months now.

First the pic of her swollen up, it looked bigger in person
Second, you can see her tail in the back, normal with no bulge here
Third, I realized that none of the pictures showed Fitz's pattern very well, so here's Fitz from this summer
And just because there's room for one more and I really like this shot of his head w/ her tail. The sun shows her color better. It's from this summer when I was deciding if I should or shouldn't.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Shadera
Fingers crossed for a litter of healthy, pretty young'uns!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Twizted Paths
Thanks, I'll actually be happy if nothing bad happens to these two. I've been reading horror stories so now I'm paranoid

Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Utta
Update is needed

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
Twizted Paths
I'm going with No.

She was looking promising, doing the I'm preggers boa thing and then she stopped & got normal sized/acting again. She's making up for lost meals with a vengeance too.

It was her first year being bred though so I wasn't really all that hopeful. I have Dyer line stripe/aberrant throwing hypo or a nicely striped Aby line to try her with again this year. Now I have an idea of her cycle timing so it should go better.

Fitz had to go over my brother's house since a couple of my other girls decided to ovulate this year to spite me. I didn't think they were ready to breed but Fitz disagreed and wouldn't go back on feed.

He's only taken two meals since September and one was puked back up. He's most likely out of the running for this coming season. I'll send him back over to my brother's house to avoid him staying off feed again if need be.

I'm not going to risk losing him just to maybe get some babies, no matter how pretty they would be.

Tags
boas, breeding, cooling, cycling, seasonality