Giants are CoDominant PROVEN BY TREMPER - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-13-2004, 07:25 PM   #21
humpbacks1962
Quote:
They do not carry the Giant trait.
How in the world can a giant produce offspring that do not carry his/her genes???

Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #22
josh06
Read up a little on co-dominant traits. Like Kelli said, pastel ball pythons are good example. Really, it is just hit or miss with a co-dominant trait.

I know i suspected this trait was co-dom from the beginning, as I think many did. It was just hard to believe that that trait could've been recessive.....

Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #23
humpbacks1962
Oh my.. you mean like... POOF! Spontaneous-generation type a female spits out a giant and nobody knew??

Old 10-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #24
aliceinwl
Wanda,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question right so forgive the response if it's off target.

All geckos have two copies of every gene, one from mon and one from dad. In the case of co-dominant genes, a gecko could get a giant gene from dad and a normal gene from mom and the gecko would be a giant. Now, if you bred this gecko to a normal, he can only give one copy of his genes to his offspring. So, there would be a 50% chance that the offspring would get the giant gene and 50% chance that the offspring would get his normal gene. This means that in terms of probability, half the offspring would be normals and half would be giants. The normals resulting from this breeding would not carry the giant gene.

When Tremper said that giant was recessive, this meant that a gecko would have to get a copy of the giant gene from both mom and dad otherwise the dominant trait, normal, would prevent it from being expressed. Then, it would follow that all the offspring produced by a giant would get a giant gene from their giant parent because that is all he has to give.

However, since the trait has proven to be not recessive, but co-dominant, a giant may not necessarily have two copies of the giant gene and it would not be possible to tell a het giant (1 copy of the gene) from a homozygous giant (2 copies of gene). Many people bought giants assuming that it was a dominant recessive situation and produced "hets" by breeding their giant to non-giants. They believed that all the offspring would carry the giant gene. Some of these hets got large (giants) and some stayed normal size, but all were sold as het for giant.

As it turns out, all the normals do not carry the gaint gene so all the poor people that paid a lot of money for these normal sized giant hets got screwed. I almost bought one myself, now I'm very thankful I didn't!

As for the origin of the first giant, I'm not sure...

Hope this makes some sense,
Alice

Old 10-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #25
humpbacks1962
Bless your heart, now it makes sense. Thanks Alice!

Wow, so people paid a pretty penny for geckos that are selling for $80 at a Petco by my house, huh?
They are big and handsome, though. Soooo chubby!

Old 10-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #26
Spydergotboost
Super giants

So if the giant trait was proven co-dominant then now we should have Super Giants i guess the only way to prove a super giant would be to breed it to a normal amd if all the babies are giants then it would be proven a Super form correct? and if only half are giants then that would mean only a regular giant?? so then would that mean a super giant will be worth more?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #27
E2MacPets
If giant is indeed codom, then we have two situations:

One or both of Moose's parents were giants
Moose's giant gene was a random mutation.

Assuming Moose was a random mutation, Tremper should have known from the first offspring that it was codominant, since half or all of Moose's offspring would have been giants.

Since he erroneously identified the giant gene as being recessive, we have a problem with the logistics here, now don't we?

I'm going to maintain the belief that giant is a linebred trait. Why else would some people claim it is absolutely not genetic and yet others claim its codominant? Why else would Tremper make reference to selectively breeding to create a giant that is even larger than Moose?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 PM   #28
aliceinwl
I've got a question.

Why isn't the giant trait considered dominant? If giant hets are giants, wouldn't this make it a dominant trait? Are there "super" giants?

-Alice

Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #29
groovygeckos
ok thanx

i took it to mean , if you breed giants to any leo , you will get either ALL Giants OR ALL non-giant..

Old 10-13-2004, 11:24 PM   #30
groovygeckos
Wink but you will get %50/ %50 ?

WELL looks like i MAY be producing alot more Giants than i thought this year and coming year!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!