My 1st Boa Breeding Attempt - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #51
Helenthereef
I'm keeping one of the less well known boa species in their natural habitat, so temp, humidity and light cycles are all as nature intended.

I can only say that when I put two males in with a female at the end of our "Winter" (southern hemisphere July/ August/ September), they went straight for her, (and I have hopes of a pregnancy, still not certain), but when I put them in with a different female in our "Summer" (December/ January/ February), they have insisted on remaining just good friends.

I'm not sure what the pros and cons of artificial cooling etc are, but it certainly appears to make a difference "in the wild"

Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #52
gsrept
thats cool just interesting to here what hobbyist in different parts do and what works for them.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #53
Metachrosis
Boa in the wild do not grow to adult stages then suddenly encounter
a cool down,they live their entire life with the seasonal changes within their regions.
Forced cooling is forced breeding and its done for monetary gain,true animal welfare is the last on many folks agenda.( I M O )

You seem to have missed what I said,try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
so what you are saying there is no cooloing or cycling of light in south america.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #54
Metachrosis
again its not so much "how its done"(cooling)
Its why its done in the big picture,hiding behind the label "hobbyist" fools far fewer then anticipated.

The last 5-6 years has really junked out this hobby to a point of no return
Its good to see efforts far and above shoving rats to a snake in a tub
and rushing to market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I'm keeping one of the less well known boa species in their natural habitat, so temp, humidity and light cycles are all as nature intended.

I can only say that when I put two males in with a female at the end of our "Winter" (southern hemisphere July/ August/ September), they went straight for her, (and I have hopes of a pregnancy, still not certain), but when I put them in with a different female in our "Summer" (December/ January/ February), they have insisted on remaining just good friends.

I'm not sure what the pros and cons of artificial cooling etc are, but it certainly appears to make a difference "in the wild"

Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #55
Twizted Paths
They also have daily temperature fluctuations in the wild. They're not kept in completely static temperature controlled environments year round.

Once you pull an animal out of the wild everything that applied in the wild is no longer applicable. I'm not saying nothing is either.

If you read my post you'll see that my problem as been stopping them from cycling themselves despite my best efforts.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #56
Utta
not only temps flux bell, they move around from higher to lower humidity as well. i dont want to cool any of my animals, i rather not breed then risk some of my babies getting RI or something.

hows he eating Bell? started again? or still no?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #57
Twizted Paths
Thanks Ty, he gets tried again with a small rat this Wednesday. I wanted to make sure he had plenty of time to get his stomach back to level.

Gonna give him a rare treat ~ fresh killed

In the wild boas can still choose to find nice warm spots under sun warmed decaying plant matter and bask more/longer to make up for the temp differences. In captivity they only have the narrow gradient we allow them, they can't seek out optimal conditions.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #58
Utta
yummy! fresh killed! *hopes he eats*

true they cant seek it out, but we DO try to give them optimal conditions. or as close as we can get it with us still feeling its in there best interest.

ultimately its what we as owners feel is safest for our animals. one could go all out and have a realistic set up complete with mites and all, and toss in life food etc etc. but that's not what we feel (at least not me and i know not you as well as many others on this forum) to be in there best interest. -end rant.

there's always this season! and your boas are stunning, so i know you'll have some sexy offspring!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #59
Helenthereef
I was also told that it's more likely after a storm (presumably humidity and atmospheric pressure triggers) and it certainly would be hard to provide those factors at home !

(Like to meet the extremist who'd try though )

Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #60
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

(Like to meet the extremist who'd try though )
*grabs mister and shop vac* lets do this!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boas, breeding, cooling, cycling, seasonality