Not happy finding this...possible unsettling pictures. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
RobNJ
Not happy finding this...possible unsettling pictures.

I pulled this one out of the egg today after noticing that it hasn't absorbed any yolk at all and that it still hadn't broke the egg sack a few days after its clutch mates had. I guess these things just happen sometimes. It was awfully mangled up with several severe kinks, a deformed snout and no eyes. Its tail had fused to its belly and the remainder of the belly hadn't fully developed and was more or less wide open minus a very thin film of undeveloped skin. Can't figure it out, don't really know if there is anything to figure out...incubation temps/humidity were fine and consistent, and the egg was not dropped, rolled, or played with in any way. The other 3 from this clutch are all fine.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
radera5
Very sorry to see that. Sometimes it just happens. It was probably doomed from the start for whatever reason.

Good luck on everything else though.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Necoco
Wow... I'm sorry to hear about this.
At least the others were okay though,so at least that's something.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
hhmoore
Sometimes babies don't develop properly; and sometimes fully developed babies die before hatching.
Look at it this way - that snake would never have hatched....and you would never have seen it if you hadn't cut the egg.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
RobNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Sometimes babies don't develop properly; and sometimes fully developed babies die before hatching.
Look at it this way - that snake would never have hatched....and you would never have seen it if you hadn't cut the egg.
I'm glad to see this in person...out of morbid curiosity if anything. Though I don't really enjoy seeing deformed animals, it's good to see it firsthand if you're keeping them. Anyhow, in this case, I am sure glad it wasn't this clutch mate that didn't develop properly...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
bkline
wow slamming pied rob, i have had several deformed babies hatch out, with jaw problems or kinks, some make it, some dont. its life

Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Matt2979
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Rob. Unfortunately, as Harald said, it just happens. My first clutch this year yielded 7 healthy babies...or so I thought when I cut. 6 hatched, have shed and each has eaten twice, but I finally pulled the last one out of the egg to find it was dead (I was 99% sure that was the case; otherwise, I would never remove one from it's egg). It looked completely developed, but had a twisted kink in the umbilical chord so I guess that was why mine died?? Just look at the rest of them as that much nicer of an occurrence!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
scratchypen
Sorry about your baby, however, I have never seen a hatchling with so many problems, so, its kinda cool in a way. Had a dumeril litter which ended up with a ton of deformities a couple years ago and have had one ball python clutch where something was wrong with the whole clutch. The only baby that actually made it out of the egg had a small kink in its tail and I ended up rehoming it as a pet. It was a very healthy baby though despite what happened with its siblings, so, maybe the clutchmates will be really great eaters for you.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Rock Star Reptile
We just had a clutch of Het clown happen like this. The whole freakin clutch.. Her first time laying. So we know our temps are spot on and have had no other clutches like this. So I will chalk it up as being her first lay issues. At least till I breed her to my Clown male and see if their are any problems again. Then I will say it is just her.
Sorry you had to go through this. It sucks bad I know.. Not the pretty picture people want to think about when breeding. But it happens and you just have to deal with it.
Thanks for sharing.
Ted

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
bxjoon
Man really sorry about that, my friends het pied to het pied clutch yielded a baby similiar to that. All of his organs were outside his body. The heart was still beating and as morbid as it sounds I took a video of it as an information piece.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!