Redback Salamander Pricing, what to price them at? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:54 PM   #1
kaijuken
I will be selling a bunch of redback/leadback salamanders at the Streamwood, IL Nov.17th reptile sale. I have never seen these for sale before, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should price them at? Should they go for more than the common Tiger Salamanders which go for around $10-$12 or so. I was going to price them at $10 each, but I am don't want to price them to low, gotta make money to pay for expenses and hopefully some new animals.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Neil Gubitz
Well.... do you have a picture you could post?? If they really ARE a species that isn't seen too often, then you could EASILY get more than $10 for them.... start them out at $25 each?? If you find they're not selling, you can ALWAYS lower the price, but, it's very tough to RAISE the price if they start flying out the door at $10....

....Neil

Old 11-06-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
kaijuken
I'll get some pics up later.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:11 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
If you mean Plethodon cinereus then I'd charge about thirty cents a pound... They're the most common salamander in the United States, there are virtually no regulations about collecting them and there's a reason they're never for sale... The same reason you don't find people selling crab grass at garden stores...

Unless you're using the common name for another species, then you shouldn't bother selling them period. I hate to call an animal "worthless" but in terms of money, Redback sallies are worthless.

Were these CB (unlikely) or are they fresh WC from your backyard?  Are they feeding, have they been dewormed (dangerous with an amphib with so little mass) and how long have they been captive?

::shakes his head sadly:: I have some gravel from my yard for sale too,  any reccomendations of price?

Old 11-06-2002, 06:16 PM   #5
Seamus Haley
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They're the most common salamander in the United States</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Sorry about that, it should read-

&quot;They're one of the most common salamanders in the United States.&quot;

Old 11-06-2002, 06:20 PM   #6
Neil Gubitz
Well, I guess it shows you what I know about Salamanders??? lol

Sorry about that, Kal....

....Neil

Old 11-06-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
Seamus Haley
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I guess it shows you what I know about Salamanders??? lol
</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

I was exaggerating a bit on the price, even as &nbsp;common as they are, if they're feeding and LTC or CB, &nbsp;you could probably ask about three dollars apeice, dropping it to around a dollar fifty if nobody buys them...

That's still working under the assumption that it's Plethodon cinereus and not something else under the same common name.

If you can provide pictures and a few details (how long you've had them, CB or WC and what they've been eating), I might be able to give you a more reasonable guess for a starting price but these salamanders are indiginous to Illinois as it stands and there's never been a very strong interest in them, so in order to sell them, you'd have to modify your price based on interest.

I seriously doubt anyone will buy them as anything other than perhaps garter snake food but you never know and I suppose it's worth a try.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:06 PM   #8
sschind
If they are indiginous to Illinois you had better check the legality of selling them at Lee's. &nbsp;If I had my terrarium set up now I might give you $3.00 a piece for 2 or 3 of them but right now I don't have a location cool enough for NA sallys.

Steve Schindler

Old 11-06-2002, 10:09 PM   #9
sschind
I should add that one of the reasons tigers sell for $10-$12
is because they make good captives. &nbsp;they are large, hardy, relativly easy to care for, and they do not always stay burried. &nbsp;Redbacks do not make good pets. &nbsp;The one I had in my terrarium (before I tore it down to move) lived there for over a year and I only saw it twice without digging it up.

Steve Schindler

Old 11-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #10
BILLY WILLIAMS
I am going to have to agree. &nbsp;Redbacks are a dime a dozen and you can go to any wooded area and turn over some rotting logs or some damp leaf litter and collect at least twenty of them. &nbsp;In my experiences growing up catching them and keeping them, they are rather frail and fragile, attaining only a few inches in overall length. &nbsp;The only way that I can see you selling them is for feeding to various other herps. &nbsp;Don't get me wrong, I think they are interesting and attractive in their own way, but I cannot see them doing as well or being as popular as the hardy mole salamander genus, Ambystoma, containing the tiger salamander. &nbsp;I cannot justify someone spending more than a buck for one of them. &nbsp;Sorry,

bob mendyk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!