Yellow anacondas and eyeless scrub python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Boas

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
G.J. McDONALD
Yellow anacondas and eyeless scrub python

Dig it.....I have 2 male yellow anacondas for sale. $225 obo. (shipping included)
6 ft' male columbian boa. super docile, finicky eater though. $200 obo

I also have managed to acquire a 12' patternless eyeless australian scrub python. This is one of the most beautiful and truelly exotic things I've ever seen. I may be interested in selling if the right price is offered. I will be going to a herp show this weekend so if anyone is interested, contact me before then.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
jkuroski

Where is the show, I would be interested in seeing such a scrub.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I also have managed to acquire a 12' patternless eyeless australian scrub python. This is one of the most beautiful and truelly exotic things I've ever seen. I may be interested in selling if the right price is offered.
I'm sorry, I just need a little clarification here... Are you maintaining that being eyeless is a positive thing? A rare and desireable trait which makes the animal MORE valuable rather than less?

Why is it eyeless? Injury or born that way? It DOES make a difference... If it was an injury, can you describe what happened?

"The right price" for an eyeless snake is "Free" because it's what's technically known as a "Rescue" or a "Charity case"

Old 06-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
G.J. McDONALD
The show is in San Antonio at the live oak civic center off of Pat Booker Rd.

It was definately born with the trait. I have already had a couple of offers that are far more than what I paid for it. I've also spoke with several other people who are interested in purchasing one should I breed it and be able to promote and produce juveniles carrying the same trait and gene that creates the mutation. The snake is extremely healthy and beaituiful and an EXTREMELY good eater (2-3 small rabbits).
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-09-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
Seamus Haley
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=41211

Welcome to the BOI. I disagree strongly with what you are doing here and have started a topic regarding the ethics of this seller. I assume the mods would probably want any further discussion of this issue handled on *that* thread rather than this one.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
tool66
I personally have seen the scrub python and the eyeless trait is not a defect. The snake is 12' long and healthy. If it was a defect would the snake have been able to live this long? It's all a matter of opinion. Someone may be willing to pay a lot of money for this snake but on the other hand it may be worthless to another person. If the snake was sick or had a disease then the ethics of the seller could be questioned but I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing here.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
G.J. McDONALD
my scrub

i'm sorry you disaggree and feel that my "ethics are questionable", but it is simply a matter of opinion. While you may find it wrong to breed an animal with this characteristic, I see it as a chance to learn more about the habits and life of this amazing, yet rare, mutation.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
JJFOUTZ
Instead of trying to justify yourself and your views here, go to the thread that THIS AD is currently being discussed and defend yourself and your views on this issue.

Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=41277

Quote:
Originally posted by tool66
I personally have seen the scrub python and the eyeless trait is not a defect. The snake is 12' long and healthy. If it was a defect would the snake have been able to live this long? It's all a matter of opinion. Someone may be willing to pay a lot of money for this snake but on the other hand it may be worthless to another person. If the snake was sick or had a disease then the ethics of the seller could be questioned but I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing here.
If you were born without eyes, would you die? No

Is the eyeless trait natural? No (then it is a defect)

If you thought that your children and grandchildren and generation after generation of your passed on genes would produce eyeless people (Your family), would you breed?

Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
Darin Chappell
"I personally have seen the scrub python and the eyeless trait is not a defect. The snake is 12' long and healthy. If it was a defect would the snake have been able to live this long?"

THAT may well be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in print! Followed closely by this:

"While you may find it wrong to breed an animal with this characteristic, I see it as a chance to learn more about the habits and life of this amazing, yet rare, mutation."

What, exactly, are going to "learn" about this species by propagating a DEFECT that would make it completely untenable as a lifeform in the wild? What is it about snapping in the air and slamming its head into the glass that makes this specimen representative in any way of scrub pythons in general?

Who do you think you are to try to release a gene that may well pollute the entire population of a species? Have you no clue at all, or are you just so lacking in ethics and character that you cannot see the damage that you will do to the future animals carrying this gene and to the people who are trying to recoup their investment in breeding stock? It's insulting that you think so little of everyone else in this matter!

Old 06-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
G.J. McDONALD
RETORT

Again, in the wild this would be a problem. But at 5 years old, I don't see any problem with promoting a new dynamic in the species. If it weren't supposed to happen, it wouldn't. but you seem to think that the snake is withering away and dying. And, oddly enough, I have seen every other snake I own stike into the air or at the glass, but have yet to see this one do it. He eats fine and is easily handled by myself.
So by insinuating that the snake is being mishandled in anyway or being mistreated in anyway or made to have a miserable existence, is an extremely crude assumption. It is assanine to think that this animal should not exist or be researched and studied, because IT DOES EXIST. Like it or not. The "defect" as you refer to, my opinion (and quite a few other extremely experienced herpers).
As to the albino comment, most albinos do not survive in the wild because as juveniles they become easily seen and eaten by natural enemies and predators? So if they have little to no chance to survive in the wild, why breed them? I want to study the animal and see the affects of an eyeless existence. Moral or not, as I said, the animal does exist and in captivity has thrived.
People have continously bred albinos in order to gain clutches with new patterns that have never existed simply to procur more strains and morph patterns to sell.
If what I am doing is to put in a poor context "Playing God"., then so is every other breeder who has bred any animal in order to fascinate "their morbid fascination" at what strain they can then create.
Everyone seems to see this as a bad thing, I see it as the next step in a natural evolution that has come from the natural genetics of the animal. these animals did not come from a labaratory where some evil scientists was splicing genes to produce it. Mother nature created it. So why not study it? You call it a deformity, I call it one of the most beautiful snakes I've seen. Anaturally occuring rarity, created by nature not by me.

I do understand everyones opinion, but believe, I am not money driven. If I were I would have stuck to breeding bloods with my buddy Pete.

If you don't think the animal deserves to live and that it shouldn't be allowed to breed. Go find someone who has blind child and tell them that they shouldn't be allowed to breed because they're eyes are of no use and they carry the gene. The child will learn to live in their surronddings (as has my snake), the child will live a long healthy life (as has my snake) and be seen as a truelly beautiful child (as I do my snake).

I'm sorry if what everyone thinks that this snake is a deformity and should not be bred, but it is opinion. And that is mine.

Thank you all for your responses.
Happy herping.

Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread