betta breeding attempt part deux - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
techgirl
Talking betta breeding attempt part deux

ok so i unfortunately lost my first batch of fry from my first attempt. i have cleaned everything and tried again. Fluffy(no lie, the bf named him) is a grizzled red male with incredible finnage and got paired with a red cambodian halfmoon female. i chose these two because of the colors, the hm gene and the aggresive personalities they both have. i wasn't sure they were mating or doing the aquatic version of s&m but now i have babies!! mom is recovering because daddy beat her up pretty good. i now have about 40 fry that are being tended to by pop. i think i had more and he ate them but that wouldn't surprise me about him. let's see how this time around goes. i'm actually in the process of getting a second breeding tank ready for another pair. Prince is a cool looking one. he is dark purple with long fins that start as purple from his body and fades to blue as it spreads out. he will be paired to a red cambodian halfmoon that carries the marble geno. can't wait to see how those come out. wish me luck

Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Dennis1
Good for you!
I hope this time you do better with the fry
Where did you get yours? Iam looking at USA Bettas stock and they have a nice pair of Thai Flag CT's for sale that i am really thinking about buying!

Dennis

Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
techgirl
Talking

most of my males came from petco. i chose them mainly for color, comp. and personality. the halfmoons i got thru ibc. i just got a surprise gift tonight too. a pair of crowntail males from a friend of mine that she saw in a store that have great coloring. one male has such a crown on him he reminds me of a lionfish. he'll be next, but i'm going to wait until next year. i gotta see how these babies do. :P

Old 11-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
techgirl
Wink Update On The Babies

well fluffy's kin seem to be doing well so far. i'm using liquid fry food and a something from ocean nutrition for betta fry called attison's betta fry food. in fact i think this batch is growing pretty fast because you can actually see them without having to press your nose up to the glass. as for prince, the other male i was trying to breed, i learned this......do not give them homo names!!! he had no interest whatsoever. after several days of being with the female, he would not build a bubblenest and wouldn't even look at her. i put him back in his tank and decided to introduce my red betta, big red, to the female. i had eggs in less than 24 hours. as for prince? he was the male next to him and now has the biggest bubblenest i have ever seen. am i the only one that has a gay betta??

Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
We need pictures!

I tried once, unsuccessfully, to breed bettas. I got eggs but the next day they were gone Pa had to eat them 'cuz I had already removed ma.

Good luck with your little wigglers.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 AM   #6
techgirl
if i can ever figure out how to shrink the pics down i will. hey maybe if i have luck with these guys, maybe i'll send you one(or 2 or 3) god knows i'll have my hands full. i won't know more for at least a few more months

Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
Gonzalez2293
Talking

I wanna breed bettas but the process is so complicating can anybody show me how like post pictures of how the tank should be setup and write what i should do step by step that would be great

Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
techgirl
setting up a breeding tank

i took a 10 gallon tank and half filled it. get the temp to 80. no higher than 82. get a corner filter. a tight fitting hood to prevent drafts. i use a divider when i introduce the pair before i put them together. i use lids from coffee cans, a half cut stryofoam cup, or floating plants. feed mom and pop live foods to get them good and ready a few weeks before intro. when the mating happens, take mom out. i usually give the tank a dose of an antibiotic and fungal treatment to protect the eggs. mom gets a dose of antibiotics if dad beat her up. dad stays until the the babies are free swimming(about day 3 of hatching) i have been having luck with liquid fry food and baby fry food i got online. i am also giving the baby brine shrimp that i hatch out. good luck

Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
techgirl
Talking 1 month mark!! :)

so one month has come and gone. babies are doing great and getting big. i have about 35 little buggers swimming around eating like champs. can't wait to see what they look like. already have homes for half of them from the people at work alone. i'm so happy!!

Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
Patrat
I recently tried my hand a breeding Bettas. Not only was my male more interested in other males, the female killed him! Guess she didn't want any competition.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!